• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you carry your stuff around?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Large shopper-style men's tote.

I like the top-handled totes because they don't crease your clothes, as a messenger strap will if you have things in it.

Totes are still stigmatized in the USA, but they are basically a larger, more easily filled and accessible briefcase with a larger drop on the handles. Not very girly, if you ask me, and smart way to carry your stuff.

Here's what I mean, something like:
Filson
pFILSON1-2231587dt%5B1%5D.jpg

or

Perry Ellis
PED_57FA0068_200_A.jpg

or
Ferragamo
24-6540_01.jpg

or
Louis Vuitton
louisvuittonkiowa.jpg

I don't mind the look of some of these..but they are still VERY stigmatized and I'm pretty sure my friends would all call me gay. Furthermore, even though I have a girlfriend, I think many girls would assume likewise.. To speak gently on the matter, "not that there is anything wrong with that" (blatant Seinfeld quote), seriously, I just don't want to feel self-conscience everytime I use it.

Any suggestions for bags that are less stigmatized and dare I say more masculine?

I like that puma bag a lot aside from the huge logo... anyone know how much it runs?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently carry a Porter tote (Monocle edition) but have one of these coming in soon
01071-t_imgcolor_l2.jpg

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, stay tuned in the next few days for a new thread, "In Honor of teh Mantote." I've got probably 10 of them and will love to share pictures.

DOOO EEEET

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I also found this one from Puma:

10280-658952-d.jpg

It's such a shame they have to deface everything with their gigantic logos and name graffiti, because their designs are nice. But then again, maybe that's why this bag is $60 and the Dior one is $1100...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I don't mind the look of some of these..but they are still VERY stigmatized and I'm pretty sure my friends would all call me gay. Furthermore, even though I have a girlfriend, I think many girls would assume likewise.. To speak gently on the matter, "not that there is anything wrong with that" (blatant Seinfeld quote), seriously, I just don't want to feel self-conscience everytime I use it. Any suggestions for bags that are less stigmatized and dare I say more masculine? I like that puma bag a lot aside from the huge logo... anyone know how much it runs?
I know they are still stigmatized... but I don't get why. What on earth is feminine about them? A briefcase/attache is smaller, holds less, and has this tiny little handle on the top. A large, simple tote is so much better and more practical. I just don't get it; I think it's just typical American "we are scared of what Europe and Asia do that is stylish and, in an effort to look like manly cowboy men... despise all such rot!" For "less stigmatized," just get a backpack or a messenger.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Nice smock, why. Orange is SOOOO your color!!1!1!

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I know they are still stigmatized... but I don't get why. What on earth is feminine about them? A briefcase/attache is smaller, holds less, and has this tiny little handle on the top. A large, simple tote is so much better and more practical. I just don't get it; I think it's just typical American "we are scared of what Europe and Asia do that is stylish and, in an effort to look like manly cowboy men... despise all such rot!".

I think it's simply the fact that they have the same near-quadratic shape and long handles that we have seen on the handbags women have been carrying around for <insert historical reference here> years. Because of this they are feminine by association for many people. If I were to design a tote bag for men, I would make it rectangular (like a briefcase) with shorter handles. Who knows, maybe someone already has?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black leather pilot case for work (I need to carry a lot of stuff). Odd variations on messenger bags/gamekeepers bags for weekends.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
As much as I like my laptop backpack for being practical and comfortable, I don't consider it very stylish.

How do you solve the problem of having to carry stuff around (i.e. laptop, power supply, portable mouse, water bottles, apples, bananas and possibly some other food) and still look cool?

I know the briefcase is a classical choice, but I don't think it's very practical when walking 30 min. to and from work every day.

A Muji briefcase (c. 2002), all black with aluminium/leather handles , and optional shoulder strap, does the job more than adequately. I carry all the stuff you refer to and it looks just fine.
It is not made today, of course, as it is extremely durable and quite stylish. Last time I checked they had some similar bfiefcases but duotone, possibly with a different interior.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads