How do you carry your stuff around?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nordicstyle, Dec 31, 2008.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Hehe. No harm done. I got the joke.. [​IMG] Yepp. Good thing I carry the cellphone in my pocket... [​IMG] Anyway, I think I have to go check out some of these bags in a store and see how they look and feel. Things can look very different in the real world compared to a product picture online.
    Being in IT, you don't have your cell phone clipped to your pants waistband, do you????? [​IMG] There is also a type of messenger bag without the flap, but that closes with a top zipper closure (I'll hunt down a picture). It gives you the overall shape/durability of a messenger, without the flap and buckles getting in the way. Something like this (just to give you an idea of the style; I wouldn't want something so "shiny"): YSL http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408 Dior: http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/eLux...44_h_pu?$hero$

2. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

These are big in Japan... I agree with rach - a great way to tote your stuff around.

I've no experience with teh man-tote, but could definitely see using one.

Filson 257 on weekdays. Weekends or big grocery run, where style is of no import, it's either a 14 year-old Timbuktu messenger bag or a Haglöfs backpack.

[​IMG] to the 257

3. rach2jlc

I've no experience with teh man-tote, but could definitely see using one.
    Well, stay tuned in the next few days for a new thread, "In Honor of teh Mantote." I've got probably 10 of them and will love to share pictures.

4. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

Being in IT, you don't have your cell phone clipped to your pants waistband, do you????? [​IMG]

No, but I have had many colleagues who do, right next to their Leatherman and Maglite! [​IMG]

Dior:
    http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/eLux...44_h_pu?$hero$

Oh, this I liked. Neat and minimalistic! Doesn't look too shiny in the picture.

5. rach2jlc

No, but I have had many colleagues who do, right next to their Leatherman and Maglite! [​IMG] Oh, this I liked. Neat and minimalistic! Doesn't look too shiny in the picture.
    Yeah, the second one isn't shiny; the first one (the YSL one) is a satiny material that probably wouldn't hold up well. the second one is black calfskin. I really liked the second one (from Dior). Unfortunately, it costs an arm and a leg (about $1100), but I think you could probably find a version of similar style more cheaply. Here's a link to that one (in black calfskin) http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse...sp?id=11659644

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I just picked up this "Attache" from Land's End. It's incredibly inexpensive and seems very sturdy. Looks good with almost everything except Suits and might not be a great idea to use at large/important business meetings (depends). I use it as my everyday bag, since I don't wear a suit to work very often, and it's the right size and weight. The only thing is that the handles/zipper might hinder "easy access". They also have a slightly larger "Messenger Bag". This "Tote" seems like it would be a great choice for weekend use. Sorry for pimping out Land's End. These bags just seem like great values for those who are less inclined to drop $300+ on bags at this point in time. **EDIT** The waxed cotton bags that I linked are a much richer/deeper color in person than the images portray, if that helps.

7. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

I carry one of these, in the smallest size, in black. Obviousyl this wouldn't work for someone wearing a suit. [​IMG]

8. nordicstyle

Yeah, the second one isn't shiny; the first one (the YSL one) is a satiny material that probably wouldn't hold up well. the second one is black calfskin. I really liked the second one (from Dior). Unfortunately, it costs an arm and a leg (about $1100), but I think you could probably find a version of similar style more cheaply. [...]
    Aye, that is a bit pricey...! I found a cheaper alternative on Amazon (click images for product links): [​IMG] [​IMG] BTW, didn't Adidas use to make vintage leather/vinyl messenger bags? Something similar to this: [​IMG] I don't think the bag in the picture is big enough for a laptop, but I remember seeing some similar bags with less branding on them (i.e. only a Adidas logo, no text or stripes). Anyone know where I could find bags like that (brand doesn't matter, Adidas was just an example)?

9. whiteslashasian

I don't think the bag in the picture is big enough for a laptop, but I remember seeing some similar bags with less branding on them (i.e. only a Adidas logo, no text or stripes). Anyone know where I could find bags like that (brand doesn't matter, Adidas was just an example)?

I think my roommate received a Puma bag for Christmas, similar to that Adidas one you showed. It's a nice burgundy color with just the Puma logo, no text. Wouldn't be able to tell ya the price or where she got it though....[​IMG]

10. nordicstyle

I carry one of these, in the smallest size, in black. Obviousyl this wouldn't work for someone wearing a suit.

[​IMG]

Exactly how do you carry it? I don't see any handles or should straps in the picture.

11. whiteslashasian

Exactly how do you carry it? I don't see any handles or should straps in the picture.

Perhaps a hidden waist strap a la fanny pack?[​IMG]

12. nordicstyle

13. whiteslashasian

14. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

15. Skanstull

Skanstull Well-Known Member

A briefcase, always. I have no problems carrying it thirty minutes to work.