• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How do you carry your stuff around?

nordicstyle

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
As much as I like my laptop backpack for being practical and comfortable, I don't consider it very stylish.

How do you solve the problem of having to carry stuff around (i.e. laptop, power supply, portable mouse, water bottles, apples, bananas and possibly some other food) and still look cool?

I know the briefcase is a classical choice, but I don't think it's very practical when walking 30 min. to and from work every day.
 

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
6,575
Reaction score
1,082
Suffer for style. Myself - A briefcase all the time.
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Large shopper-style men's tote. I like the top-handled totes because they don't crease your clothes, as a messenger strap will if you have things in it. Totes are still stigmatized in the USA, but they are basically a larger, more easily filled and accessible briefcase with a larger drop on the handles. Not very girly, if you ask me, and smart way to carry your stuff. Here's what I mean, something like: Filson
or Perry Ellis
or Ferragamo
or Louis Vuitton
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
How do you solve the problem of having to carry stuff around (i.e. laptop, power supply, portable mouse, water bottles, apples, bananas and possibly some other food) and still look cool?
I like the sleekness of messenger bags, but I agree with Rach that they can be hard on your clothes. The best of both worlds is a messenger bag that has a handle in addition to the shoulder strap. That way you can carry it like briefcase when you're wearing something that would be easily damaged by the shoulder strap.

It can be hard to find messenger bags with handles, but this one looks pretty good and I may be purchasing one soon: http://www.customhide.com/barrister.html.
 

nordicstyle

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Large shopper-style men's tote.

I think they look a bit too much like shopping bags, but maybe I could pull off something like this:



I don't normally wear a suit, so I think the shoulder strap can be quite useful.
 

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
2,761
Reaction score
653
Originally Posted by nordicstyle



I don't normally wear a suit, so I think the shoulder strap can be quite useful.


That's one hell of a bag. Are you a commando?
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
I think they look a bit too much like shopping bags, but maybe I could pull off something like this:
I don't normally wear a suit, so I think the shoulder strap can be quite useful.

Well, of course to each his own. Personally, I find that bag really unattractive and clunky; all those buckles, zippers, flaps, etc. make it a pain in the ass to get at your stuff (especially a bus ticket, cell phone call, etc. when you are in a hurry). I've had several buckle messengers and getting AT your stuff was always an irritation for me. Further, leaving them unbuckled, and thus allowing easier access, just made them look sloppy. Personally I like the simplicity of the shopper-styles I posted and the easy access they allow. You can get to your stuff easily and you don't have lots of buckles, clasps, clanging pieces of metal, etc. with which to contend. But, again, you know better than anybody what you need, what your personal "style" is, and your budget. Cheers!
 

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 18, 2006
Messages
11,603
Reaction score
166
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Large shopper-style men's tote.

I like the top-handled totes because they don't crease your clothes, as a messenger strap will if you have things in it.

Totes are still stigmatized in the USA, but they are basically a larger, more easily filled and accessible briefcase with a larger drop on the handles. Not very girly, if you ask me, and smart way to carry your stuff.

Here's what I mean, something like:
Filson

or

Perry Ellis


or
Ferragamo


or
Louis Vuitton


These are big in Japan... I agree with rach - a great way to tote your stuff around.
 

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
4,509
Reaction score
720
I use a black under armour back pack. It holds everything I need to tote with me and I don't care if it gets dirty during the winter months.
 

nordicstyle

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
That's one hell of a bag. Are you a commando?

Hehe, No. It might look a bit rough, but I'm a tall guy, so I don't think it would be too bad. Mind you, it's not for a suit. I normally wear jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie or open-collared shirt to work. Anyway, the image was just a way of illustrating the general type of bag I was thinking of (i.e. a slim leather bag with handle and shoulder strap). I could do with a tad more minimalistic closing mechanism though...


Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Well, of course to each his own. Personally, I find that bag really unattractive and clunky; all those buckles, zippers, flaps, etc. make it a pain in the ass to get at your stuff (especially a bus ticket, cell phone call, etc. when you are in a hurry). It looks like a slightly nicer version of those awful dumpy nylon Computer Bags you see at Office Depot that IT guys wearing double-pleated cotton dockers like to use.

Incidentally, I am an "IT guy", but I don't wear dockers...


Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Personally I like the simplicity of the shopper-styles I posted and the easy access they allow. You can get to your stuff easily and you don't have lots of buckles, clasps, clanging pieces of metal, etc. with which to contend.

I see your point. I just remembered that I actually do have one of these:



It's less "noisy", but I think something similar in leather would be nicer. I think maybe I'll have to get more than one bag, as different designs fit with different clothing styles, and I tend to vary how I dress (i.e. I don't think the North Face bag will look well if I decide to wear a shirt and sports jacket to work).

BTW: I don't mind people "mocking" my style, after all, I'm here to learn how to improve it, so I'm grateful for any feedback I get!
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Incidentally, I am an "IT guy", but I don't wear dockers...

Haha; I was just funnin' but realized that it came across sounding like snark, so I edited it out. Of the bad things about teh interwebz is that it is hard sometimes to let people know when you're just joking.
Anyway, I'm a big bag-fan, so I've got just about every style you can imagine. I like messengers, but I really would recommend one without buckles. Whether it closes with a simple zipper or a "magnet" or whatver, real buckes are such a pain, IMHO. Leather ones also wear very badly and tend to get frayed/worn out quickly if you are accessing the bag a lot. Those old style buckle bags are neat and "retro," but for the 21st century commando, a good way to miss your cellphone calls! haha
 

bigbjorn

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
619
Reaction score
0
Filson 257 on weekdays. Weekends or big grocery run, where style is of no import, it's either a 14 year-old Timbuktu messenger bag or a Haglöfs backpack.
 

nordicstyle

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
702
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Haha; I was just funnin' but realized that it came across sounding like snark, so I edited it out. Of the bad things about teh interwebz is that it is hard sometimes to let people know when you're just joking.


Hehe. No harm done. I got the joke..


Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Those old style buckle bags are neat and "retro," but for the 21st century commando, a good way to miss your cellphone calls! haha

Yepp. Good thing I carry the cellphone in my pocket...
Anyway, I think I have to go check out some of these bags in a store and see how they look and feel. Things can look very different in the real world compared to a product picture online.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 135 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 252 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 123 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.8%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,730
Messages
9,223,453
Members
193,605
Latest member
MattNJ
Top