• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you buy ties?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

IMHO the most important thing is to make sure a tie knots well. You can get an expensive tie, but if the knot sucks it will most likely look like crap. But a cheap tie with a great knot can make it look more expensive than it actually is.

very true. i have a gorgeous charvet that just doesnt knot well at all. it gets worn MAYBE 1 time a year. but i cant get rid of it because i love the print.

Costanza

Reaction score

costanza,
Last time I checked Harry Rosen was running a tie sale, with some nice Drake's grenadines, especially at the Bloor location.
Not sure if it's still on.

Just called them to see if they are still there. After being on hold for several minutes the female picking up the phones came back and asked me what grenadine was. Thinking she didn't know ties, I asked if she could put me on with someone who knew ties. She replied that she had spoken to everyone on the floor and nobody knew what it was. They were all thinking it was a brand. Then one SA came on the phone confessed he didn't know either. I tried describing it, thinking that it would likely be confused with with a knit tie. It was. :brick:

Then I remembered you said they were Drake's...they are all gone. Is it so easy to cross into the occult of fashion by following the discussions on SF?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
From B&S -- but some of the styles I've received are pretty dated so look closely at what you buy.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
From B&S -- but some of the styles I've received are pretty dated so look closely at what you buy.

one of the most annoying things is when you see a really awesome item but the pics suck
baldy[1].gif

FillW

Reaction score
I wrote a series of posts at Put This On about neckties, which you might find useful. Start from the entry on the bottom and move your way up, as that will be the correct order in which I published each post (and intended for the series to be read).

I have to thank you for posting about this article you wrote. It really cleared up most of my questions about neckties. It covers just about everything you need to know about buying and owning them. Thanks!
biggrin.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When buying a tie I pretty much know my entire outfit from head to toe,minus the tie. I think of tie colors that I don't have to go with the outfit.I then look into my selective tie favorite tie brands to select the tie of choice.

Last edited:

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I buy my ties based on material and whether or not I can pair it with most of my suits

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just buy everything I like, its bound to match something eventually...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just buy everything I like, its bound to match something eventually...

That goes for me as well, more or less. I generally don't buy a tie with a thought to matching a specific suit / jacket, except in the case of a brand new suit / jacket which is almost always celebrated with a new tie.

In general, I try to refrain from buying at all unless a) I LOVE the tie and b) it doesn't too closely resemble something I already have. Beyond that I just try to find really good quality brands at solid discounts.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just called them to see if they are still there. After being on hold for several minutes the female picking up the phones came back and asked me what grenadine was. Thinking she didn't know ties, I asked if she could put me on with someone who knew ties. She replied that she had spoken to everyone on the floor and nobody knew what it was. They were all thinking it was a brand. Then one SA came on the phone confessed he didn't know either. I tried describing it, thinking that it would likely be confused with with a knit tie. It was.
baldy[1].gif

Then I remembered you said they were Drake's...they are all gone. Is it so easy to cross into the occult of fashion by following the discussions on SF?

FYI, the Rosen outlet store has a pretty decent selection of Brioni and Zegna ties right now. Or as of Tuesday past, anyway. I didn't see any Drakes ties, but did bring home three or four very nice pocket squares.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads