1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How do you buy ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chippo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

To repeat a previously unanswered question:
    so you guys actually tie the tie at the store?

2. davesmith

davesmith Senior member

Quote:
    take it into the changing rooms [​IMG] or just hide behind something, and if you mess up the tie and they have another one take that!!! hahaha

3. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

If you take the tie into the changing room, aren't they going to know what you're up to?

Btw, few things are as heart-breaking as seeing a tie display at the store, picking up a really nice one, just to discover the inevitable snags that countless hands, unkempt nails, and price tags rubbing against the material, etc, caused.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I saw a guy today in Neiman Marcus use his leg to tie a knot in a tie that he was considering. He was wearing shorts.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I buy most of my ties on sale simply because I don't want to pay $229 for Zegna, picked one up at Xmas which was marked down to $80 much more reasonable. Tie Deals have some nice ties reasonably priced but I usually set my self a $100 limit. If colour and patten is good and it would match the staples in my wardrobe then I will buy it. Try to avoid impulse buying.

6. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

I like 3.25" too on average. I buy on sale only and buy top shelf ties. I try to match with my suits, coats and shirts and think in terms of summer and winter. Need more winter stuff now.

7. BamaHater

BamaHater Senior member

I only buy my ties on sale or clearance. I scour places like Off Saks, Last Call, Marshalls , and Nordstroms Rack for high end ties. I think most I have paid is $55 for a RLPL. Mostly I buy a tie if I like the colors or design. I rarely ever buy a tie to match a specific shirt. If I like it, i'll buy it.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Ha you have Winter this past week its been between -8c to -5c overnight getting a bit sick of it to be honest roll on Spring.

And your right about buying top shelf on sale pity they don't do it with good single malts.:D

9. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

Yes, tough to find liquor clearance sales!

Maybe I should check southern hemisphere clearance sales now for winter selections. :)

10. Costanza

Costanza Senior member

Anyone have a reference for matching tie construction to knot type? I discovered the Pratt knot on the weekend- symmetrical but uses less tie length than most (I'm tall)- and figure it could use one of those ties with a core that firms it up a bit as the tie has to span a gap in the knot without collapsing. I have some other ancient Zegna ties that seem all silk without any backing or core in it. They are quite soft and supple and the wrong thing for this knot. What's the best type for a (full) Windsor?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member

Costanza,

Your question is interesting.

First, most tie constructions will work with most knots with some exceptions.

As an example a grenadine weave is a loose one which will naturally create a full knot so we don't suggest Windsor knots with grenadines.

A lighter tie in general will balance with a Windsor knot. If you want a smaller or larger knot you would adjust the width of the tie in the knot area.

Adjusting the interlining is also a possibility but not the best answer.

12. comrade

comrade Senior member

Same here. However, I use two main filters:

1. Width - No narrower than 3.75 inches (9.52 cm) Makes it harder today.

2. Price

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  13. Galix

Galix Senior member

14. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

I go to the store mostly during a good sale, I select the tie I want head to the counter swipe my card then leave.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I am a relatively new tie-buyer but I've been buying at least a couple a week recently. Post-SF, I love ties so much I want to wear one every day.

I buy ties from thrift stores (here we call them 'op shops' ), eBay and from sales. I like 3.25" too, though I'll go a little skinnier and a little wider if I like the tie otherwise.

The most I've ever spent was AUD$33, and I don't think I'd ever pay more than about that. Why? Mostly because eBay is a tie goldmine, and brands like Lands' End, Brooks and Banana Republic offer exactly what I want for usually under $15 shipped.

Really, eBay is PERFECT for tie-buying: shipping is cheap; fit is not an issue; what you see is what you get; and because ties aren't that popular nowadays and last a long time, there's a massive oversupply floating around out there.

As far as colour and style go, I'm working on a collection of mostly blue, red and green, mostly stripes dots or solids, and some interesting textures like wool, linen and cotton.

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I wrote a series of posts at Put This On about neckties, which you might find useful. Start from the entry on the bottom and move your way up, as that will be the correct order in which I published each post (and intended for the series to be read).

1 person likes this.
  17. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Oh my, that's almost a book you wrote there!

18. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I go to Goodwill and go through the tie racks, where there are between 60-300 ties depending on which store I go to. I get nice, simple ties from good makers, and in this way I have Brooks Brothers, Talbott (one is a 7-fold), Facconable, Lands End, Zegna, Polo Ralph Lauren and J. Crew (lol) ties and none of them cost more than $5.

19. Costanza

Costanza Senior member

... and I read the whole thing. I toured a few men's stores in the core yesterday just as the markets closed and was surprised by two things: just how normal everything looked on the sidewalk, and that I couldn't find a SA in Brooks Brothers or in Andrew's ties who knew what grenadine was.

PS I had one SA explain to me my puzzling experiences the other day touring a couple of men's shops in the Yorkville area: the clientele are mainly drug dealers and Russian mobsters. (His friend runs one... store that is) It made complete sense to me...Maybe that would be an interesting thread in itself (pinned with a knife).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  20. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

costanza,
    Last time I checked Harry Rosen was running a tie sale, with some nice Drake's grenadines, especially at the Bloor location.
    Not sure if it's still on.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011