1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

How do you buy ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chippo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Word to the wise with eBay: If you are going for very top-shelf ties (read: RLPL, Hermes, Charvet, etc) be sure you know what you are doing. Know tags, manufacturing signatures, etc. If a brand has fakes out there, there's a very good chance there are a few of them on eBay.

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Ha! Much more carefully than I used to, that's for sure! :D (Thanks WAYWRN.)

On two occasions I've paid full price for Drakes ties that I absolutely adored -- and that never went on sale. :fu: That's about $130 each in US dollars. But I'm much more comfortable paying $80-90 for Hobers, which are every bit as magnificent as Drakes.

Stick with quality brands like the ones touted by your favorite SF stars. (You do have some favorite posters, right?) I found it very hard to tell good ties from bad ones until I held, knotted, and wore a lot of high quality ties. Just reading the many, many "How to tell a quality tie" articles isn't much help until you've developed some tactile experience.

Respectfully disagree -- unless you meant to say synthetic blends. There's nothing wrong with blends of natural fibers, such as wool/cashmere, cotton/cashmere, or silk/linen.

Amen, brother.

+1 But I believe the OP needs to get a hands-on education before he can successfully find deals on ebay.

3. dirtyturk

dirtyturk Well-Known Member

i think you can never tell until after a few wears.
    i would recommend going and getting a standard "nice" tie like a hermes/ferragamo. onsale these can be had at reasonable prices. after wearing those a few times you should be able to notice the difference with how they hang/tie in comparison to your cheaper ties, then you can start to see the difference in other brands and make the decision yourself. at the end of the day, it is a decoration so it just depends on how it makes you feel. There are no utility or fit requirements.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

My most important criteria is width. I've reached the conclusion that on me 3-1/4" is perfect. I'll go down to 3" or up to 3-3/8" if I really like the fabric. (I'm not buying anymore 3-1/2" because I already have lots of these. Since I always have a tape measure in my briefcase for work I'll whip it out right there is store if needed. Although the SA should have a tape measure floating about as well.

Assuming the quality and price are right I have no other strategy other than if I like it - I just buy what I like - but never full retail unless it's something REALLY special. There are just too many sales and other ops for ties.

There are a few things that are just plain hard to find at the stores - mostly grenadines - in that case I order from Sam Hober.

More is better with ties, as long as you always keep an eye out for quality classics. :fonz:

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Pattern, color, construction, and quality are the key factors for me. I'm very particular about my ties, and don't hesitate to pay full retail for those that appeal to me.

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

+1 on nonsynthetic blends. Found a Saks tartan viyella tie at a goodwill for a buck that is very cool

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

At times, I've been sorely disappointed in this regard, expecting an Hermes or Charvet to feel like teh hot buttery sehks. Often they do not. :plain:

Apparently, there's something to be said for quality silks with a more "subtle" hand. I assume I'll understand this in time. (Right now I just leave it to the experts).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Wow. Someone asked that as a new article was being written. (Feedback on it is welcome.)

What about buying according to what's missing? For example, no red ties or no silk-cotton ties. Do people buy ties that are almost duplicates of what they already have? Just a hunch - moderately shiny ties are bought impulsively more often than duller ties. What about width - only if it's extreme does it much impact whether to buy?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    if anyone is thinking on buying anything slightly dodgy on ebay hopefully they'll post the link here first and have the resident experts take a look.

a few months ago there was a thread about fake Tom Ford and Thom Browne being sold on eBay!!

11. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

To repeat a previously unanswered question:
    so you guys actually tie the tie at the store?

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    take it into the changing rooms [​IMG] or just hide behind something, and if you mess up the tie and they have another one take that!!! hahaha

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

If you take the tie into the changing room, aren't they going to know what you're up to?

Btw, few things are as heart-breaking as seeing a tie display at the store, picking up a really nice one, just to discover the inevitable snags that countless hands, unkempt nails, and price tags rubbing against the material, etc, caused.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I saw a guy today in Neiman Marcus use his leg to tie a knot in a tie that he was considering. He was wearing shorts.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I buy most of my ties on sale simply because I don't want to pay $229 for Zegna, picked one up at Xmas which was marked down to $80 much more reasonable. Tie Deals have some nice ties reasonably priced but I usually set my self a $100 limit. If colour and patten is good and it would match the staples in my wardrobe then I will buy it. Try to avoid impulse buying.