• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you buy a bespoke t&a shirt

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The key word perhaps being "salesperson." Bespoke means a paper pattern is made for you, and the shirt is cut from this pattern. T&A takes measurements, and makes the shirt from the measurements. That's MTM, as defined by the industry for decades. I don't know five places in the world where one can get real bespoke shirts. Nor do I know why anyone would need them. Kabbaz is interesting because of the incredible collection of fabrics he's amassed. The quality is excellent, but in the context of a suit, a shirt is just underwear after all. Will
Okay: the salesperson is in charge of the custom orders for T&A in NYC. I know what bespoke means, thanks. But, apparently others do not, so I'll easily explain: Made-to-measure (MTM) is when a stock pattern is modified as much as possible by a company to your measurements. Whereas, Bespoke (custom) is when a custom pattern is made based on your measurements. T&A in their slim propaganda book entitled: Turnbull & Asser Shirtmakers, the pedigree and style of a very English institution, state that not only that bespoke is still carried out in their premises both in London and New York, but that they employ four cutters whose sole job it is to cut only shirts based on bespoke patterns. This can also be found on the T&A website: T&A Bespoke Which states: "Although our bespoke service is centered on shirts tailored precisely to customer specifications, we make almost any item of clothing 'from scratch'. Most recently we have formalized a service to make neckwear to order - for individuals, groups and special occasions such as weddings. The origin of the term 'bespoke' dates back to when customers ordering a suit or shirt could select and reserve a cloth that was then bespoken or 'spoken for'. Today, bespoke means 'made to personal specification' - in contrast to the more conventional 'made-to-measure' or 'customized' stock item. . For shirts, some 28 separate measurements are made to ensure the most flattering possible result. Habits such as the way a wrist-watch is worn and other unique needs and physical characteristics are all reflected in the final product. " Jon.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen can disagree. T&A consider what they do to be bespoke. You may call it bespoke and I'll call it MTM.

Ask Alexander Kabbaz to describe to you what a bespoke shirt is and compare that description to T&A's process. In my opinion it's roughly the difference between ordering a stock special from Edward Green vs. a bespoke shoe.

Will

banksmiranda

Reaction score
re: Seewaldt & Bauman - I assume that the Manhattan location is their showroom and that the LI location is their production facility. BTW I have never visited Seewaldt & Bauman or seen any of their shirts. If I might ask, what specifically disappointed you about the shirts?

Cesare

Reaction score
Why not go for Luigi Borrelli instead? What is the difference between T&A and Italian Shirtmakers?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seewaldt and Bauman is now located only in Long Island.

The mid town Rents did them in.

Eric Seewaldt, is the third generation set up in his Garage in Long island.

Makes a paper pattern for each customer.

He is still prewashes all of his fabrics and linings.

One operator sews the entire shirt.

He comes into the city on a regular basis to see customers.

The argument between bepoke and MTM is mostly semantics.

I sometime make a true paper pattern and other time have patterns made via computer.

The computer generated pattern has some limitations. But a good fit can be acheived for most customers.

Rook

Reaction score
i find that the best way to get around the steep markup is to buy T&A RTW and have the shirts altered by an excellent tailor. RTW costs between $100 and $150 depending on currency and location markup, and the tailoring will cost around $20. well worth it.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banks, banks, banks - great list ... but how could you forget Charvet? Gettin' sloppy here.

Shirtmaven - "The argument between bespoke and MTM is mostly semantics." You of all people know better than that.

Will - Thank you very much for mentioning me. One slight correction. My shirts are not $100 more than T&A. $250-300 higher would be more like it.

For men who assume that they can walk cold into T&A as a brand new customer and get a bespoke shirt just because Prince Charles does ... think back to the Fioravanti "A" list / "B" list discussion.

And for the truly sartorially inclined, it is neither Roetzel nor any of Flusser's. Boyer's "Elegance" (possibly out-of-print) remains the number one pick of the late 20th Century.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And for the truly sartorially inclined, it is neither Roetzel nor any of Flusser's. Boyer's "Elegance" (possibly out-of-print) remains the number one pick of the late 20th Century.
It is out of print, but it's easy enough to find on the used book sites. I'll give you that it's a good book, but Roetzel and Flusser's pictures blow Boyer's all to hell.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give you that. In the old days, we used to read. We only bought Playboy for the pictures.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Banks, banks, banks - great list ... but how could you forget Charvet? Gettin' sloppy here.
Sorry Alex - but great to have you back. I second Alex's recommendation of Elegance. I was fortunate enough to get a copy sometime in the last year.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
And Alex, props to you since you're one of the few willing to admit that you bought Playboy for the pictures and not "for the articles." Â I will admit once I bought an issue of Playboy. Â I bought the July 1997 issue to see the article which included a pic of one of your custom shirts, "shirt Appreciation" if you will. Â
wink.gif
How's the web site update coming?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And Alex, props to you since you're one of the few willing to admit that you bought Playboy for the pictures and not "for the articles." I will admit once I bought an issue of Playboy. I bought the July 1997 issue to see the article which included a pic of one of your custom shirts, "shirt Appreciation" if you will.
wink.gif
How's the web site update coming?
Ever seen watch Appreciation? It's when you see the movement
wink.gif
Jon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I agree completely. I've had Elegance out this past week again. It was Boyer who introduced me to so much. Jcusey is right as well. Roetzel must be had for the pictures alone.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Elegance. I found it to be too historical, when he talks about the origins of different items. And, I just started laughing cause there was actually a section on ascots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads