1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you all store leather jackets?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lunarpower, Jul 19, 2013.

How should I store lambskins that I wear regularly?

1. Wide padded hangers, no garment bag

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Wide padded hangers + garment bags (unzipped to let the leather breathe)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Flat in unzipped garment bags

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. lunarpower

lunarpower New Member

Have lurked here for some time. First post.
    Searched the forum for this topic and couldn't find anything 100% relevant, but i'm a noob, so please point me to any extant threads. thanks.

--

I have somewhere between ten and fifteen high-quality leather jackets. About half are lambskin; the others are a mélange of bovine, sheepskin, equine, kidskin, goatskin, you name it.

My question is, what's the best way to store them?
    Right now I have them hanging on wide hangers, each one in a(n unzipped) fabric garment bag. For the softer, lambskin ones, I have a hand towel wrapped around each arm of the hanger so that there's less chance of puckering in the shoulders.

The reason I ask is, I've noticed a very slight wrinkling in the shoulder area of one of the lambskin jackets. It's nothing that's yet noticeable when I'm wearing the jacket, but I noticed the difference when I put it over a chair at a restaurant.
    That's despite the padded hanger + towels, so I'm worried that hanging the jackets is going to cause more damage than I'd anticipated in the long term.

Any advice?
    I'm most concerned with the lambskins; nothing's going to happen to the cow and horsehide ones.

Fwiw, I live in northern CA, where it's never too hot or too cold for leather, so this isn't for long-term storage; I'd like the jackets to be reasonably accessible.

Thanks.

2. lunarpower

lunarpower New Member

Thanks for the polling input. For the people who chose "Other", I'd appreciate hearing exactly which "other" you had in mind.

3. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

I've commissioned a number of mannequins made to my exact measurements and I store my jackets on them when I'm not wearing it.

2 people like this.