• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do these shoes stack up?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
They are nice looking. But the price--oh, my.
wow.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those cost the same as a pair of Crockett & Jones Handgrade captoes (Whitehall, Audley, or Belgrave -- see http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/New%20Pages/handgrade.html) at full retail, a shoe I'd much prefer. Â You may not agree with me on that particular choice, but I don't think it's a stretch to say you could probably get a lot more value for the your $600 if you have a little bit of time to shop around. Regards, dan

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Italian shoes, member Ron Rider has gotten a lot of good press here for his Martegani product, at half the price. I'm told too that another shipment of the Grenson Masterpieces are on the way- bought a high-quality black captoe in December for $150.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen these Ferragamo at Mitchell's of Westport. They are beautiful -- not a lot of antiquing effect, but good leather nonetheless. Also a nice last shape -- much nicer in person than in the pictures. I will say that the heel is fairly tall for a dress shoe though. Honestly, it's probably a better shoe for use with odd pants than it would be for suits.

tdial

Reaction score
Second that opinion. For 600 bucks, buy C&J handgrade captoes (pick whichever one you like, either the Whitehall or the Audley) from Plal or Pediwear and then use the balance to buy yourself a Borrelli shirt from Ian Daniels (vintageusa) or Lance Hughes (discostu). You'll end up with a much better shoe and a world class shirt for the price of a designer lace up. That's a bit harsh, since I think Ferragamo's styling is quite nice, but your are paying out the nose for an inferior product (especially a captoe, which is more of a conservative look anyway).

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I agree with everyone about the price. I thought it would be interesting to get peoples opinion on the styling since I usually say a cap-toe is a cap-toe and I thought this shoe stood out to me in the picture. But, I can't see myself paying $600 for a shoe that I can't be sure will last me for at least 10 years.

However, what are peoples general opinion on the quality of a shoe like that? I see a lot of EG, C&J and Alden talk. Not too much Italian shoe talk

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I have seen this Ferragamo shoe on Ebay for $200-250. If you have to have it, you might scan the auctions before taking the NM plunge.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Grensons and planning to order the Marteganis.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NM is always a desperation move, in my book, because method of payment is a bit restrictive. I did break down before joining this forum and purchase a pair of E-Zegna (made by Ferragamo) monk straps last fall at NM. The price wasn't as dear as that pair you've found on their site, but they were exactly what I wanted, well-made, and no where on e.bay. In hindsight, I'd have bought these in black calf: http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/Ne...es/savile.html

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I see a lot of EG, C&J and Alden talk. Not too much Italian shoe talk
I think the Northampton and American shoes are more of a predictable, known quantity over against the Italians.

Were I someone looking into quality Italian shoes I would go with forum member Rider as I believe I would get excellent price to quality with him. He also has a special order system that allows you to get things you would be hard pressed to find otherwise.

If you've got the money, I have no issue with dropping $600 for shoes. I just think buying a designer brand from NM at retail isn't the most cost effective way to go.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(johnapril @ Jan. 20 2005,08:31) In hindsight, I'd have bought these in black calf: http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/Ne...es/savile.html
John, I love those Saviles as well, although I would go with the brown.
I find this a tough question: brown or black shoes? Because I love both. To make matters trickier, most recently, my clothing choices have demanded something else entirely from a shoe: cordovan (the color). The brown suit, the charcoal suit with just as much navy, the golden leather colored corduroy. All demand a shoe with a bit of ox blood in it, no? It is difficult to describe what I am really looking for to a shoe salesperson in Midwestern America, and the ones who do understand are suffering from the lack of shoe choices here as well. Often the right color is on a poorly-made shoe. Or the well-made shoes are the saddest of dark browns. The cordovan Aldens suggested by many on this forum are the closest I have come to what I am trying to describe. But when I see shoes with antiqued finishes, in reds and goldens and browns and walnuts, I just want to throw my Aldens to the back of the closet.

drljva

Reaction score
I agree with everyone about the price. I thought it would be interesting to get peoples opinion on the styling since I usually say a cap-toe is a cap-toe and I thought this shoe stood out to me in the picture. But, I can't see myself paying $600 for a shoe that I can't be sure will last me for at least 10 years. However, what are peoples general opinion on the quality of a shoe like that? I see a lot of EG, C&J and Alden talk. Not too much Italian shoe talk
I know that Gamos' aren't all that popular on this site, but I must confess to being in love with the Ferragamo "style". Yes, they're pricey (or overpriced, depending on your point of view), but I don't think you can go wrong -- style-wise, at least -- buying a Gamo'. Also, IMHO, the quality of Ferragamo's Tramezza Collection is quite high. Personally, I'm quite taken by this shoe, and next time I'm at NM or Nordstrom, it's mine. ;-)
sfn3716mp0sz.jpg
JV

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find this a tough question: brown or black shoes?  Because I love both.  To make matters trickier, most recently, my clothing choices have demanded something else entirely from a shoe: cordovan (the color).  The brown suit, the charcoal suit with just as much navy, the golden leather colored corduroy.  All demand a shoe with a bit of ox blood in it, no?  It is difficult to describe what I am really looking for to a shoe salesperson in Midwestern America, and the ones who do understand are suffering from the lack of shoe choices here as well.  Often the right color is on a poorly-made shoe.  Or the well-made shoes are the saddest of dark browns.  The cordovan Aldens suggested by many on this forum are the closest I have come to what I am trying to describe.  But when I see shoes with antiqued finishes, in reds and goldens and browns and walnuts, I just want to throw my Aldens to the back of the closet.
I'm not sure if you're looking for a shoe with a base color of cordovan or with cordovan highlights.  I haven't seen a whole lot in the way of quality shoes in a cordovan color with an antiqued finish.  I don't recall seeing any in C&J's Handgrade line.  There may have a been a very few pairs in the last Grenson shipment.  EG and Vass have some, but I haven't reached that spending level on shoes, yet.

For the time being, I'm going to try adding an antiqued effect to my cordovan AE Park Avenues.  I also have a dark brown Martegani from Ron Rider that has some hints of red in the finish which makes for a nice overall effect.

dan

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind (1) that Alden shell cordovans do have hints of antiquing in the color, and (2) that shell cordovan naturally takes on a rich patina with wear. My C & J cordovan bluchers from Polo were mildly burnished at the toe area when I got them; after about 10 wearings that are totally multihued now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics