• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do monks with straps perpendicular to sole feel? (Lobb Matta, RLPL Camden, etc)

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jl_mattaII.md.jpg

There are some monks with the strap perpendicular to the sole like the Lobb Matta and the RLPL Camden. Do they feel different, considering that the straps wrap around the sides of your feet, unlike, say the Jermyn II or the RLPL Grant? Or does the leather give a bit?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not know what to say other than that they feel like shoes. The picture above is more of a "normal" monk than the Jermynn or Grant. As long as the strap is high enough and not a more Florentine style low strap, you shouldn't really notice a difference.

Nice shoes but black monks are odd to me.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of monks with that type of strap (C&J Handgrade, and Gravati) and they feel normal to me. I have always thought of them as fairly standard designs. They fit like any other pair of dress shoes I own, no real difference.

I don't really know what you mean when you ask if they will "feel different". I mean, they aren't going to scratch your balls for you, or anything.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you find odd about black monks? Do you think black is only for more formal occasions where monks would not be acceptable? Personally, I think the Jermyn II or the Vale in black would be excellent shoes.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose that those two would be ok. I don't like the metal and black. It makes them look odd to me. That is not to say that I am right and black monks are wrong, I just hold that particular opinion.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I suppose that those two would be ok. I don't like the metal and black. It makes them look odd to me. That is not to say that I am right and black monks are wrong, I just hold that particular opinion.

Funny, it's the contrast of metal and black that I like. I often think brown monks look washed out. Monks are one of the few shoes I generally prefer in black.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I don't really know what you mean when you ask if they will "feel different".
I think they feel different if they're a bit snug and you try walking with them. I guess RTW monks' fit has to be more precise than anything with laces.

I've been to the NYC Lobb store. The Vale in the 8000 last is as incredible as advertised, black or brown. There is something admittedly refreshing about a deep shine on a black pair's vamp.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Funny, it's the contrast of metal and black that I like. I often think brown monks look washed out. Monks are one of the few shoes I generally prefer in black.
Doc, what do you like pairing black monks with?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal

Denim, in particular. Great for going out in the evening. But I also have a navy w/ white pinstripe suit that looks especially nice with them. And I like pairing them with gray odd trousers and the like, for a change of pace.

While I'm not a zealot for the "no brown shoes after 6 p.m." rule, I do think black shoes generally look better at night.

Black shoes don't get enough love around here. Black, on its own, can be boring, but set off against, say, a metal buckle or white contrast stitching ... very striking.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you say to a belt with a shiny brass clamshell buckle and an FC shirt with sterling links?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think Jermyn II or Vale would be the only black monks I would buy. Pity the Lobb RTW lasts are so ill-suited to my feet. Nice shoes.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim, in particular. Great for going out in the evening.

I often do the same, although the black monk I wear with denim is an Algonquin split toe with the commando half sole.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What would you say to a belt with a shiny brass clamshell buckle and an FC shirt with sterling links?

I'd have to see it. Seems a bit flashy for my tastes, but might work on someone else. I'm not one for mixing metals, but that's a personal hangup.

Originally Posted by Manton
I think Jermyn II or Vale would be the only black monks I would buy. Pity the Lobb RTW lasts are so ill-suited to my feet. Nice shoes.

What is it about these two that makes you like them in black? But I agree, both are good examples of black's potential. When I picture the Jermyn II in my head, it's always in black.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What is it about these two that makes you like them in black? But I agree, both are good examples of black's potential. When I picture the Jermyn II in my head, it's always in black.
They're just really sleek and formal looking, much more so than that the typical blucher monk or double monk, neither of which would I ever get in black.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
They're just really sleek and formal looking, much more so than that the typical blucher monk or double monk, neither of which would I ever get in black.

I see. I feel the same way about black bluchers. Just don't see the point in them. But at the same time, I wouldn't wear monks for an extremely dressy event that required black shoes. So I suppose that reduces the importance of the formality issue for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads