• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I wear tassel loafers?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see....

You're 16 years old.
You're concerned about fitting in.
Your friends wear flip flops during the summer.
So you go buy euro luxe goods from yoox.

Makes perfect sense.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
white poplin BD shirt - lowercase monogram, no periods. pinpoint is another possibility. french cuffs. yes, french cuffs on a BD shirt.
grosgrain or surcingle belt.
mid blue or navy critter print pants. naval motif preferred - e.g. anchor or wheel.
no socks

now you're an american asshole.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I was gonna say that we need that Vineyard Vines kid to weigh in on the matter. Glad you stepped up to the plate on this one.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok let me step in for the kid.

old man's brooks bros blazer. **** is 356 but you don't even know the difference. camel with dark brown windowpane. extra corny up in here aight? bought 3 sizes too big in shoulder, 2 too big in the chest, 1 in the length.
kenneth cole belt
3.5 in. tie you stole from dad. american maker. geometric or repp.
pima cotton j.crew Outlet argyle sweater vest
100% cotton j.crew Outlet vintage khakis
cream herringbone socks 92/8

now you're HarrisonK or whatever his name was.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah son. gotta flex el conquistador.

grnfy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses!

Yes, it was a really stupid thing to do (I was super stressed out which is why I went on yoox.com anyway) which is why I posted this question onto the board..

To my fellow Singaporeans, I come from a slightly more.. "elitist" school and my friends therefore have a rather preppy but still very casual dress (polo ralph all day everday), so these would not be THAT much out of place I hope.

I was thinking to wear them with my raw slims (unbranded tapered) and a simple white button down out at night, as I think the main thing that would make such a shoe look pretentious is the bright scorching sun reflecting off the leather.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grnfy
To my fellow Singaporeans, I come from a slightly more.. "elitist" school and my friends therefore have a rather preppy but still very casual dress (polo ralph all day everday), so these would not be THAT much out of place I hope.
RJC? ACJC? Anyways Polo RL is like the first brand I thought of when wearing tassel loafers... go onto their sites, their models have that italian flair thing going on. Basically polo tee, ankle length rolled trousers and loafers.
Originally Posted by grnfy
I was thinking to wear them with my raw slims (unbranded tapered) and a simple white button down out at night, as I think the main thing that would make such a shoe look pretentious is the bright scorching sun reflecting off the leather.
I don't get this. Wearing tassel loafers for a junior college or sec 4 guy in Singapore is already somewhat pretentious! Just embrace it and rock those without fear. If you need to doubt yourself, might as well don't wear them right? Adopt the right attitude because style in all in the mind, relatively speaking of course.

grnfy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
RJC? ACJC? Anyways Polo RL is like the first brand I thought of when wearing tassel loafers... go onto their sites, their models have that italian flair thing going on. Basically polo tee, ankle length rolled trousers and loafers.

I don't get this. Wearing tassel loafers for a junior college or sec 4 guy in Singapore is already somewhat pretentious! Just embrace it and rock those without fear. If you need to doubt yourself, might as well don't wear them right? Adopt the right attitude because style in all in the mind, relatively speaking of course.

One of those two yes haha im paranoid about revealing my identity online!

Yes it is totally pretentious! Thanks for the advice, I see now that it really is a matter of wearing confidence. I am a pretty confident dresser, if I may say so myself, but that might be because I haven't really tested the proverbial waters yet..

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this today.

Testing the proverbial waters of Singapore street style? Maybe.
Pretentious? Yeah I would think I would come off as pretentious to the average dude on the street.
Swagz? 100%.

9thJuly2011.jpg

lamergod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
I wore this today. Testing the proverbial waters of Singapore street style? Maybe. Pretentious? Yeah I would think I would come off as pretentious to the average dude on the street. Swagz? 100%.
9thJuly2011.jpg

Don't see what's to pretentious about this outfit. Maybe the oxford may be a little bit dressier but that's all. I've seen more pretentious dudes trying to dress like Korean stars with their folded up blazers and ridiculous cuffed pants that are up so high they should have just bought capri pants at heartland malls. (Nothing against heartland, I'm from one). That's pretentious. Love your shoes BTW. Soles are mad.

ambivalence

Reaction score
nice shoes man... make me wanna kop... gonna go down to wheelock tomorrow or something to try them on

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
here's the trick, once you put them on, ignore them. I mean it. I sometimes try pushing my limits on what I'm comfortable with and I've found the easiest way to do it is to not be self-conscious.

if someone comments, just shrug and laugh it off and move on. if you don't make a big deal of it then they can't either. Just say you like the look and everbody in X (Italy? USA? etc) is doing it (ie your friends are out of tough) and change the topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads