• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I sue someone in small claims court?

ms244

Reaction score
SF seems like an appropriate place for legal advice.

In August I moved out of my old place to a new apartment which I shared with another person. I'm currently on the job market so I wanted somewhere where I didn't have to sign a lease, and therefore could move with little notice.

So I found a suitable place on Craigslist and moved in.

Paid $445 deposit cash and got a receipt. Paid on the beginning of August and September in cash too, but didn't ask for a receipt (yea, I know).

Friday morning the landlord calls and asks if I knew about an eviction since the rent it back due by two months.
cloud.gif
uhoh.gif

After the obvious reaction, turns out that he was back due when I signed
censored.gif

Now the whole situation was real shady. He worked for a local phone company in the beginning of August, and then took a break. He didn't come back to work after labor day, which seemed very strange.

He is also a recovering alcoholic and began to host AA meetings there on the weekends
plain.gif

The land lady was really nice and introduced me to another person in the complex who needed a roommate so I am out of that mess.

Now my question is, can I sue him for my deposit? He is already being sued for back rent by the landlord.
I would like to (assuming he doesn't come up with it this week), file a small claims court suit.
I've never done that so perhaps someone can help me out here.

Also, I was wondering if I can file criminal charges for pocketing my money?

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
SF seems like an appropriate place for legal advice...
I expect you can sue, but not having receipts or canceled checks will not be helpful...

ms244

Reaction score
I have a receipt for the deposit, which is the only damages I'm claiming.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
go back to the apartment and take the TV.

Given that the landlady is suing him too, and that she has contracts and so on (while you don't have receipts), you are going to get told to stand in line behind her (and whoever else he owes money too).

It also doesn't sound like he has a whole lot to give, so, for all the pain, suffering and headfuck that is the small claims court, to then be told you will be getting twelve dollars per month for the next three and a half years is not worth the trouble.

Stealing the TV is about as good as you are going to do.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya, but it's his word against yours as to whether you paid the rent...he can very easily just say 'he still hasnt paid me for September so I am holding the deposit..." or "yes, but we have 150 in electricity bills, 200 in internet bills......so I am holding the deposit until all outstanding bills from his time here are finalised"

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ya, but it's his word against yours as to whether you paid the rent...he can very easily just say 'he still hasnt paid me for September so I am holding the deposit..." or "yes, but we have 150 in electricity bills, 200 in internet bills......so I am holding the deposit until all outstanding bills from his time here are finalised"

Interesting point.....

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that is better then. Possibly you have a chance. Maybe you could get on one of those courtroom TV shows. I understand that even if you loose your case, you get some money.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Since it's small claims -
1. Seek out free legal advice in your city. If there are any law schools around there's likely a free legal clinic. Simmer, they're supervised by lawyers.
2. Check your state law. There are generalities but always check your state.
3. Criminal charges probably aren't worth the hassle even if available.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like matt's suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads