• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I stop myself from buying new clothes all the time?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's getting out of hand. How do I stop spending money on clothing? How do you (if at all) battle this addiction?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't worry about it too much. Your credit cards have limits, right? Once you reach those you'll slow down quite a bit.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying work off a need/want list-system. physically compile a list. if you are still building your wardrobe, then there are probably things that you "need." those take priority, and perhaps you can focus on getting just one a month (or whatever your budget allows). of course, one can rationalize everything as a "need," but when you're considering getting an item that looks like 3 others you already own...you don't need it. for mere "Wants": I'd suggest an in/out system. If you just "want" something, then you have to get rid of something older on B&S or ebay to balance it out. all of this sounds great in theory. i don't actually have that sort of discipline. arguably, if you're properly budgeting for investments/savings/bills, etc then you probably won't have THAT much money to throw around on casual wants. and if you do...throw some of that my way
smile.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is: I have enough money to spend on clothing. I also look for great deals on B&S or in the stores. Therefore, I end up with items I like a lot without spending more than a half a grand per month, which is well within my budget.

I'd just like to stop though, because I have enough clothes that I NEED. But I keep WANTING more.
confused.gif

I think, when I'm waiting for something in the mail, like a shirt from MT, I don't have any desire to buy something else. Otherwise, I just browse B&S aimlessly until all of a sudden I see something I want and it's a great deal, too. And I end up buying it.

Maybe I should order a shirt from MT once per month or so... Also, bump my own thread so I get banned from B&S. That way I won't be buying much of anything else. I hate this forum, it's all your fault!
plain.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there was an answer to your question, I wouldn't have enough clothes for five men. Every year I tell myself, "That's it, you have enough now. Really." and yet barely a month goes by where I don't pick up something. And really, I have enough stuff. So much that I can't even wear what I have and yet yesterday I picked more stuff.

Just don't go into debt for clothes. Pay cash.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you in a relationship? if so, what does your wife/gf say about this? i know mine definitely began to raise eyebrows and make comments when i started spending more on clothing than she was. then again, if you're swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck...you might have different problems from me. At least I have financial limits.

Perhaps you should spend more on bigger ticket items, instead of amassing cheaper/smaller ones that you won't get to wear anyway. I think most of us enjoy the thrill of the chase just as much as the actual kill. Nothing like knowing that new ____ is on the way. The UPS guy knows about my penchant for shoes, and what time is best to stop by my house with a package. As you can imagine, my wife isn't thrilled by his familiarity. "What's next? You going to invite him over for Thanksgiving dinner?"

I think you'll find most of us here are similarly haunted by this affliction.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Try to sell some of your stuff online. Lack of interest and low ball offers will probably help you realize that you have been squeezing the trigger too easily.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
The problem is: I have enough money to spend on clothing. I also look for great deals on B&S or in the stores. Therefore, I end up with items I like a lot without spending more than a half a grand per month, which is well within my budget.

You're not trying hard enough. Buy shoes from Edward Green; get a bespoke tailor. You'll soon exceed your ability to pay and then you'll have to stop. People I know spend $500/month on ties and wholesale fabric alone.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the same problem.

As I study psychology , it must be an anxiety problem that you self medicate looking for new clothes all the time. At least that is what I thing about me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's getting out of hand. How do I stop spending money on clothing? How do you (if at all) battle this addiction?
First I purchased absolutely everything I need ... then I purchased everything I want. Now I don't need to spend any more money.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
I got the same problem.

As I study psychology , it must be an anxiety problem that you self medicate looking for new clothes all the time. At least that is what I thing about me.

Me too. I do it when I'm bored, but then i feel better.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
First I purchased absolutely everything I need ... then I purchased everything I want. Now I don't need to spend any more money.

So there's light at the end of the tunnel? You gave me hope!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take some of the credit cards out of your wallet and put them away for a while.

But honestly ... if you can't stop ... and you feel you should ... you have a problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads