• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I search for a good dry cleaner?

noobanker

Reaction score
I have a bunch of clothes that are in need of some post-winter dry clean that I've been neglecting on.
I heard from some YouTube videos and discussions around here that there are certain types of solvents that some dry cleaners use which can make a big impact on damage done to your clothes.
Suits also have lapel rolls which can be fucked up from dry cleaning if they press it wrong.

I also have a bunch of wool/cashmere knitwear that I'd like to get rid of the pilling for.

What is a good way to search for a good dry cleaner? Are there specific terms you'd use or questions you'd ask about their process?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely have my suits dry cleaned. Like...actively avoid it unless there is need.

Kinda hard to say how I'd go about finding a dry cleaner. Honeslty for my shirts I take them to a hand wash.

If I were looking, I would think if I knew anyone who wore similar clothing to me, but had been doing so for a long time. Surely they must have a place taking care of their wardrobe.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of clothes that are in need of some post-winter dry clean that I've been neglecting on.
I heard from some YouTube videos and discussions around here that there are certain types of solvents that some dry cleaners use which can make a big impact on damage done to your clothes.
Suits also have lapel rolls which can be fucked up from dry cleaning if they press it wrong.

I also have a bunch of wool/cashmere knitwear that I'd like to get rid of the pilling for.

What is a good way to search for a good dry cleaner? Are there specific terms you'd use or questions you'd ask about their process?

well one place to start would be to ask whomever sold you the suits. Some boutique mens clothiers, especially if they offer made to measure, might be able to press them for you.

I agree with @ValidusLA, unless the garment is soiled or some other condition that requires dry cleaning, there’s really no reason to do it as a matter of routine.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @ValidusLA I rarely have tailored clothing dry cleaned. I brush and hang. My neighborhood dry cleaner has done a good job, though I only have factory-made garments that I’m pretty sure do not have much (or any) iron work to shape the cloth. my understanding is that for those kinds of garments you really need a hand pressing by someone who knows what they’re doing. For my factory-made jackets, the one thing that I specify to my local cleaner is they they do not press a crease into the lapel. A lapel has a roll, not a crease, which is what will happen if they use a steam press on the lapel.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well one place to start would be to ask whomever sold you the suits. Some boutique mens clothiers, especially if they offer made to measure, might be able to press them for you.
Or, ask them or another exclusive shop that you know whom they recommend.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're in the United States, Rave Fabricare are well regarded:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before in other threads (not sure if it was one you were in) but my process has been to go to the nicest menswear store in my area and ask them who they recommend. If a place sells Tom Ford, they should be able too point you in the direction of a decent dry cleaner.

Also, I make sure to ask the dry cleaner if they hand press suits as well.

At my dry cleaners when you bring in an item for dry cleaning, they will look at the item upon intake and mark the obvious spots with little sticky note arrows. I take that level of detail to be a good overall indicator of the level of service

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads