• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I make pizza?

bryce330

Reaction score
Trader Joe's dough works pretty well if you don't want to make your own. Also, try using crushed tomatoes instead of a sauce. Finally, crank up your oven as high as it will go and use a pizza stone.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Theres a place in SF that makes a bbq chicken pizza (Marcello's in the Castro) its got chicken, red o's and BBQ sauce. Not trad NY pizza but good though.
BBQ chicken pizza's aren't anything new and aren't trad but can taste great and make for a nice change from the norm.

Is Marcello's worth checking out for that? I already copy my deep dish straight from Zachary's.

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
So i agree that making your own dough is far too labour intensive. Go to an italian bakery and buy the dough.

+1. All store-bought "dough" has tons of preservatives in it. Just buy some fresh from an italian bakery or (non-chain) pizza shop. Most pizza shops will sell you the dough, even if they don't advertise that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The secret is indeed the dough. The secret to the dough, is to let it rise overnight in the fridge. It is only this way that you will develop the gluten network needed to make truly thin yet crusty/chewy dough. For myself, I use a basic pizza dough recipe, pop it into the Kitchen Aid and let the dough hook do its magic for several minutes. Then take a large bowl and put some olive oil in the bottom. Ball up the dough and flip it around so it is totally coated in olive oil. Take plastic wrap and place it over the dough ball but with large margins, so that as the dough rises, it pulls the plastic up with it and keeps it covered. Put the whole thing in the fridge overnight.

It is the slow, overnight rise that is the key.

I second a pizza stone pre-heated to 500 degrees. It should take no more than about 7-8 minutes to cook.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laffertron
I make my own pizza at least once a week, it's very easy to make a good quality pizza. I buy very thin bases (probably about 2mm thick), in Australia they have a brand call Bazaar. Then you do the usual deal, use name-brand pizza-sauce from a bottle, quality mozarella, and get sopressa, pepperoni, etc from the deli (sometimes I get some ordinary sausages, cut them up and put them on as well).

Making pizzas is also a great family activity. Gets the kids involved and teaches them about eating quality food.

For those in Oz, I second the suggestion re: Bazaar thin pizza bases. If I'm tired or strapped for time, they make a very good base - thin and crispy but with a little bit of chewiness to them.

My son loves helping to make pizzas (as well as helping to make cakes and bread, and washing rice - although that leaves quite a mess on the kitchen floor!). Cooking together really is a great thing to do with kids, and I find that he is always extra keen to eat the food that he helped to make/cook.

graf

Reaction score
although making pizza is kind of fun once in a while, unless you are doing it for fun, it isn't worth the effort IMHO. The problem is, pizza restaurants have ovens that cook at like 750+ degrees so you can never get it to turn out the way they do.

horton

Reaction score
heat oven with pizza stone to 500 degree and let it stay there for a bit, e.g., 20 miunutes

dough (enough for 2 15" pizzas)

1 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp oil
salt

pulse in food processor (cuisanart; with normal metal, not dough, attachment)

2/3 cup hot water
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar

let stand until proofs, 5-10 mins

turn on cuisanart and pour in yeast water slowly until dough ball forms (if it forms and there's still some water left over stop pouring in)

pulse another 20 times or so

put dough ball in oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and leave alone for 45 minutes in a warm place

cut dough in two. try to roll out dough at this point on flour surface. personally, I try an initial attempt walk away for 5 minutes and then return; dough works better this way.

roll out dough thin, place on floured pizza peel.

add good quality crushed tomatoes (right from can) spread around;

add slices of fresh mozzarella. but leave room; don't smother. If at all possible get water buffalo (real mozzarella); it's far more tender and will be easy to bite through.

place in oven; this cooks very quickly. the cheese (especially buffalo) will get molten.. it will be easy to tell when done as the top of the dough crust will look done. and when tapped with finger sounds drum like

remove pizza and dress it; first grate parmegano regianno (sp?) as desired n(do this first while still hottest); then a drizzle of very good XVO (real mozzerella won't be dripping with greese like the junk from most pizza places; and a drizzle of olive oil is welcom); then tear up some basil leaves (don't use any dry herbs); then large grain sea salt and fresh cracked or large gring pepper.

serve immediately.

You can use relatively the same approach for grilled pizza but you oil the pizza dough slightly; cook on grill until grill marks; then flip, then add tomatoes etc. to side that just had grill marks. (do this in a hot grill but off to side from direct flame.

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by graf
aThe problem is, pizza restaurants have ovens that cook at like 750+ degrees so you can never get it to turn out the way they do.

Or, you can just set your oven to the cleaning cycle like this guy.

itskub

Reaction score
as for baking for pleasure/with a girl.. does anyone have any ideas what kind of dinner i can bake up in a 9x9 pan (using the table-top convection oven in our dorm)?

I have pasta, so casserole is one choice. but i also have a lot of flour so I was hoping of making something (simple) from scratch..?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
as for baking for pleasure/with a girl.. does anyone have any ideas what kind of dinner i can bake up in a 9x9 pan (using the table-top convection oven in our dorm)?

I have pasta, so casserole is one choice. but i also have a lot of flour so I was hoping of making something (simple) from scratch..?

ummm... pizza?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
ummm... pizza?

lasagne
bread/rolls/etc.
meatloaf
shepherd's pie, chicken pot pie, and the million variations on that basic concept
all sorts of baked/layered vegetable stuff (root vegetables, eggplant, tomato, whatever)
quiche/frittata
chicken dredged in flour and seasonings

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Made pizza tonight. Classic but with oregano instead of basil, which is out of season.
pizza003zm7.jpg

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks delicious!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads