• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I know if I can wear a certain dress shirt on the outside (no tucking)

Talbina

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some dress shirts, some look suited to wear on the outside with jeans. Others not so much. What makes them such?

Basically what are the rules you follow on this?

I find casual shirts that the retailers sell too casual....or i don't like the material. Not sure what to describe the material as.

Thanks

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Why not tuck them?

Because it's lame to tuck a dress shirt into jeans and just wear it out like that.

They need to be shorter, like a casual shirt. Dress shirts tend to have too much length, they're halfway down your thighs in some cases. That would look ridiculous! If you insist on wearing them untucked, then have them shortened with a curvature, like a casual shirt would have.

I also refuse to tuck in a polo, especially if I'm wearing chinos. I look like I work at Best Buy like that.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
Im with JoeWoah. If your going to wear a dress shirt untucked with your denim it needs to be shorter. You can find shirts that run a lil shorter OTR. I like the Freddie Stretch Slim Fit from Thomas Pink. It just the right length to have untucked and with the slight stretch added and the slim fit makes it one of my favorites to wear with jeans.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Because it's lame to tuck a dress shirt into jeans and just wear it out like that.

They need to be shorter, like a casual shirt. Dress shirts tend to have too much length, they're halfway down your thighs in some cases. That would look ridiculous! If you insist on wearing them untucked, then have them shortened with a curvature, like a casual shirt would have.

I also refuse to tuck in a polo, especially if I'm wearing chinos. I look like I work at Best Buy like that.

I don't tuck polo shirts either. I'm not much of a denim wearer, and can't see myself wearing them with a dress shirt, tucked or untucked.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I don't tuck polo shirts either. I'm not much of a denim wearer, and can't see myself wearing them with a dress shirt, tucked or untucked.

Well, it's the versatility you can get out of a dress shirt when the bottom is short enough to wear untucked. Sure, the basic white and light blues don't really matter much here, but there are some dress shirts that look good everywhere or you know aren't strictly dress when you buy them.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they have a stiff dress collar they usually never look good untucked.. Anyways, I have yet to see a successful example.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always tuck in any shirt that hangs more than a few inches below your waist. Never tuck in a sweater. All else is negotiable.

contaygious

Reaction score
I tuck shirts and polos in with jeans. Looks better IMO unless the shirt is very short and made to wear untucked.

effang

Reaction score
i think it is ridiculous to make the overarching decision that wearing a dress shirt with jeans tucked in looks silly.

if the shirt is too long, then you have to tuck it in.

cgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
I tuck shirts and polos in with jeans. Looks better IMO unless the shirt is very short and made to wear untucked.

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Well, it's the versatility you can get out of a dress shirt when the bottom is short enough to wear untucked. Sure, the basic white and light blues don't really matter much here, but there are some dress shirts that look good everywhere or you know aren't strictly dress when you buy them.
I see this a lot in airports with business travelers who wear their dress shirts with jeans.

Space Cowboy

Reaction score
A dress shirt should never be worn untucked.

For casual shirts, it is negociable. For example, my linen shirts for summer time are often worn untucked for two reasons: 1. it looks awefully wrinkled on the waist after several hours if you tuck it 2. it sometimes looks better untucked with cargo pants or cargo shorts.
On the other side, i find a casual shirt better looking tucked in a short with italian driving loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads