• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do I Get Started? (Newbie)

ctazza

Reaction score
Hey Yea yea,

I have just speant the summer/autumn doing the same thing...!

My advice would be as follows:

- try not to have a fixed image in your head of what you want to look like. The image you want either may not suite you or may not work....

- to begin with concentrate on the basics. I would recomend getting a good quality, well fitting pair of jeans (maybe something dry so they can evolve with your new style) and a good pair of shoes/boots. Be prepared to pay a good amout for these as it will be worth it in 6-12 months time. Also invest in some basic, plain T's and shirts. These are always useful for layering pieces and as insulation when its cold.

- with regards to the rest of the wardrobe; don't rush into it and buy everything at once. A good wardrobe is something that takes a lot of time and deliberation to accomplish and shouldn't be rushed. If you are near a large city then take a few weekends to look around some of the good boutiques and see what sort of pieces interest you as well as how the staff and the people who shop there dress. Try and make notes of what you liked about people's styles and which companies/pieces you liked. Maybe try a few bits on and see how they look.

- take some time to mull over everything you have taken in. Have a look at some manufacturers websites and see what they're collections look like on.

- finaly go and buy a few pieces to start of your collection and enjoy wearing them often.

I think the main points you should go by are:

- be prepared to take time and try new styles which you wouldn't normaly wear - this will make it your own individual style
- I would recomend the buy less spend more approach when you begin. I think when starting a new wardrobe some good quality key pieces are essential as the foundation for your style.

Above all good look and enjoy the journey!

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
+1 Buy a few quality pieces that are personal-style-agnostic. Combine them with whatever you currently have that is passable and think about how you feel wearing them. This reflection will hopefully start to develop your style and make you aware of your most pressing needs.

Great insight Jared! Your saying buy some quality basic pieces then add pieces that add style. Learn about how those style pieces make me look and feel and develop my style that way. If thats what your saying, I like that approach.

Thanks again to everyone.. I will post a pic soon to give you all an idea of a baseline. Im realizing that this forum moves pretty quickly so I will get on that asap. Getting very excited about the process!

yeayea

Reaction score

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything that has been said is correct. Gradual, beginning with basics, is best. Standard colors should be an early focus, as many guys are too narrow in the color palette. However, even before that, proper sizes need to be determined. If one isn't close to his desired weight, getting there should be the first priority. (self-serving, pointing out something many denizens don't seem to realize) Ultimately, some people choose to go to professionals because they're either in a hurry (new situation or want a change of situation) or they're so afraid of wasting money and looking foolish that they wouldn't make changes on their own. A glance around any public place suggests that there are many people in the second category (with part of the problem being denial about how bad they currently look). But it's rare that, no matter how dissatisfied with it one is, a person's existing style doesn't contain some elements to build on. Professionals are trained to identify personal style. Not that hobbyists are going to be swayed into working with anyone, because they enjoy the do-it-yourself method, but a good professional is a nice shortcut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads