1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

How do I get rid of these oil stains on my suede chukka boots?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by chocolatebleu, Feb 11, 2019.

1. chocolatebleu

chocolatebleu Member

Anybody know any good products to clean oil stains? One's from popcorn butter that splattered onto boot and the other is from parking lot, don't know what.

suede chukka boot: To Boot New York; purchased for 215 (was on sale) at Zappos.

Dy6Zw0AV4AAzVNw.jpg-large.jpeg

2. Todd Shelton

Todd Shelton Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

I got a very similar stain on a pair of suede shoes last month. I took a shoe brush to it and it reduced the severity by about 50%. Now, a month later, it's still visible but it doesn't draw the eye like before. I don't know any tricks.

3. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

I have not tried this on suede but it works very well on fabrics (wool, cotton) -- try Fuller's Earth (a finely powdered absorbent clay). Dampen the suede with some water and then gently rub in the Fuller's Earth. Let it sit overnight, brush off, and reapply as necessary. It has worked for me on even old set-in oil stains.

4. maxalex

maxalex Senior Member

Talcum powder or cornstarch, overnight, can also work. Ideally that would have been done immediately after the stain happened.