• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I get rid of burnt wool odour?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
I don't know, steaming wool doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Ironing is worse.

Saving a few bucks on dry cleaning, aren't we?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Steam wool. Don't iron wool. If you iron wool, put a fabric between the iron and the wool. When you steam wool, you may need to keep the steamer a few inches from the fabric. Consult your manual.

As for the smell: try brushing the burned area with a clothes brush for awhile, then hang the trousers somewhere where the wind can blow on them for a few hours.

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
Maybe I have weird, indestructable woolen flannels, but mine have almost held a state of permacrease. Meanwhile, if I wear my fine woolen pants in the rain, I can kiss that crease goodbye.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is like the blind leading the blind.

It is clear that you used too hot of a setting on your iron. Also, whenever ironing wool use a press cloth. I use a piece of broadcloth shirting between the iron and the wool. I generally don't use steam either. On the knees if they have expanded I might hit them with a bit of steam, but ironing and easy stretching of the wool with an iron should be all that you need. Too much steam ruins a lot of the press work that went into shaping the trousers to in construction and too much steam can make pents lose this and look sloppy. Pulling out creases is all that you should need to do and with a medium iron setting and press cloth this works.

As for your smell. I don't know.

alexanduh

Reaction score
hit them with a racquet outside

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
Anyone?

Singed a pair of woollen flannel pants I was ironing, and while the pants are safe (the 'fuzz' got singed, not the actual cloth) they now smell terrible.

Any ideas on removing the burnt hair odour?

They shouldn't smell so there was obviously something wrong with the pants to begin with.Sure you didn't buy them in some discount place like Marshalls because they buy stuff from fire sales and the clothes might smell from smoke damage under certain conditions like steam ironing them. You may have just brought the stink out that was in the fabric. Throw them away because there's no cure for this.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Pooter
They shouldn't smell so there was obviously something wrong with the pants to begin with.Sure you didn't buy them in some discount place like Marshalls because they buy stuff from fire sales and the clothes might smell from smoke damage under certain conditions like steam ironing them. You may have just brought the stink out that was in the fabric. Throw them away because there's no cure for this.

I love advice on odors coming from someone named Mr. Pooter.
confused.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too sure how you managed to "singe" them or precisely what the "fuzz" is and the whole episode seems remarkably careless if you were doing the job properly with a damp cloth between flannel and the sole of the iron but there we go.

Hang them outside for as couple of days and/or dry clean them.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK for the record and especially for the clueless idiots who form 99% of SF and who gave terrible 'advice' or who have no idea what woollen flannels are like - I just brushed the trousers, and then hung them in front of an electric fan overnight, and the smell is gone.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK for the record and especially for the clueless idiots who form 99% of SF and who gave terrible 'advice' or who have no idea what woollen flannels are like - I just brushed the trousers, and then hung them in front of an electric fan overnight, and the smell is gone.

I would have to say that this condescending remark is totally unworthy of anyone here and really tells us that you did not actually "singe" the trousers at all as I found odd in the first place - maybe just over heated them and then exaggerated for effect - or maybe that should be affectation.

Larson McCord

Reaction score

That is a relief

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads