• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I fix this (JANZTEN shirt)?

bigskydream

Reaction score
This is my second Janzten, and I can't seem to get rid of the excess fabric that bulges by my armpits (see first photo)? How do I fix this on my next order? Do I need to reduce my shoulder AND chest measurements?

Also, how does the rest of the shirt look? Sleeve length?

BTW...I ordered this the first week of November and received it this week.

Thanks!

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Nice looking fabric -- what number is it? I've been wanting to try Jantzen. Did Ricky send you confirmation that he received your order, or did it just show up?

The shoulders do need to be brought in a bit on each side -- you should have the shoulder seam right on the line where your shoulder bone meets the soft tissue. The top side of the seam will be running more or less parallel to the ground, and the arm hole will basically be like a tire of a car running flat on the ground. Right now your armhole, to the extent you analogize is to a car tire, is "running on its edge." If you reduce the shoulder width, you'll probably want to add an additional .25" or so to the overall sleeve length.

I can't comment on other sizing issues, since it's hard to tell with your shirt untucked. However, shrinking the chest is not necessarily what you'll need to do to get rid of the "armpit" fabric. Bringing in the shoulders will help somewhat. Making the armhole itself smaller (which is something you'll have to specially request, I think) should take care of the rest.

bigskydream

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

The fabric is Checkers #144.

I got a response from Ricky after sending about 3 or 4 emails.

Any more feedback. Sleeve length? I really hope I can get it just right with the next shirt.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
In my opinion, the sleeves seem good. Whether you want to lengthen them a bit more is a matter of comfort and personal taste, I think. They seem to be the right length, but I'd add .25" to make up for narrowing the shoulders, because they will effectively fit slightly tighter and pull more when you move your arms.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I agree with the other comments. Sleeve length looks good, subject to tweaking when you change the shoulder measurement. Asking them to make a narrower armhole might help with the "armpit" issue - it's a modification that many people (myself included) make because Jantzen's standard armhole is pretty wide.

MikeB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
it's a modification that many people (myself included) make because Jantzen's standard armhole is pretty wide.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread, somewhat, but are there any other 'traits' - such as the one mentioned above - that one should be aware of when ordering from Jantzen?

I have a very good idea of the fit that I want to achieve, but I would not want to inadvertently overlook anything.

Thanks
smile.gif

bigskydream

Reaction score
On this order, chest measurement was 38.5 and yoke (I guess you mean shoulder) measurement was 19.

On the next order, I think I will go with a 37.5 chest and 18 shoulder.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeB
Apologies for hi-jacking the thread, somewhat, but are there any other 'traits' - such as the one mentioned above - that one should be aware of when ordering from Jantzen?

I have a very good idea of the fit that I want to achieve, but I would not want to inadvertently overlook anything.

Thanks
smile.gif

Do a search on Jantzen, but the only one I can remember (IIRC) is that the sleeves are often short.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
19" is too large for your chest measurement.
It is hard for me to really help a I do not know your actual chest measuremnt and I do not know the size of the arm hole.

You may want to leave the chest the same and just ask Jantzen to raise the a/h.

carl

www.cego.com

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Carl, is there a particularly common chest/shoulder ratio? My measurements are 39/18.5. Does that seem common?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
Carl, is there a particularly common chest/shoulder ratio? My measurements are 39/18.5. Does that seem common?
the measurement has chaanged as styles have changed when I first started in biz some 20 something years ago a med/15 1/2 carries an 18.5 yoke. At one point the measurement was as high as 20.5 on a 15 1/2.

Now it is back down to 18.5

Carl

royal618

Reaction score
Is there a guide to self measurement available anywhere?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads