• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I (discreetly) make my living space smell decently?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Boil water on the stove, add cinnamon (smells like apple pie) or another spice.

jett

Reaction score
If airing your home out doesn't work, get rid of your carpet. If that's not an option hire a professional cleaner to suck the stink out of it. If that's not an option either then an even easier method is to air it out for a day and then burn a "heavy" incense like Sandalwood or "Nag Champa" for as long as you can take it. I've found that the smell seems to seep into carpets and mask a lot of other odors without being overpowering. I had a friend in college who used to burn that stuff all the time when no one was over and his place always had this very subtle scent that was pleasant and not "girlie".

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incense builds up into an unpleasant musk if used very often, and Nag Champa smells horrible. It brings back memories of some horrible dorm rooms Iv seen; stinking of vomit and Nag Champa.

The best things to do are keep a clean place, air it out, and when you want some nice scent, use an oil diffuser, room spray with essential oils/hydrosol spray, or an effusion lamp.

5631.jpg

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Ionizer or Ozone producing air fresheners work by removing the smell particles from the air rather than covering them up. O3 is harmful to your health so I'd stick to a powerful ionizer.

(oh yea, do the laundry and open a window, too.)

I agree.
I recently picked up an ozone machine.
Turn it on, leave the room, (I read that breathing what it produces isn't good for you),
come back and the odors are gone.

Someone spilled perfume in my car, it took the smell away in fifteen minutes.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean your house weekly.

Check for mold.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Boil water on the stove, add cinnamon (smells like apple pie) or another spice.

+ 1 I like cloves

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoke a cigar...Someone smoked a cigar in my living room last week and now my place smells like...cigar

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
buy a breadmaker.

Those rock, house smells like heaven, plus, when chicks come over, they can say 'honey, you baked'

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
+ 1 I like cloves

You should try your hand at these.

300_iStock_000001121906Small_CLOVE_ORANGE.jpg

I made them as a kid in school and now I make them when I am board and give the surplus to my grandmother.

Brian SD

Reaction score
It's expensive but you can order SHUNYOU incense from 45rpm. It smells fantastic. Spicy and unisex-smelling. Definitely not feminine. Very pleasant and calming. http://www.rby45rpm.com/ You have to either call or email them, AFAIK they don't actually sell it as an item on the site.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i had no idea how to keep a clean or nice smelling room, i always aired out and sometimes used potpourri but still the smell stank of potpourri + nasties.
but after i got married, i dont know, our apt smells good and clean, i guess just get married.!

haha
rimshot.gif

for what it's worth, I think Penhaligon's make the best candles in the world. They melt absolutely perfectly. http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
haha
rimshot.gif

for what it's worth, I think Penhaligon's make the best candles in the world. They melt absolutely perfectly. http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/

I don't know about best but they sure as hell are nice. Check out Aedes.com for some other great selections.

If you're looking for something on the cheap, how about one of those Wizard plug-ins?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads