• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How do I add more fabric in the crotch area?

ChoirNico

Reaction score
Hello, I do realise this has probably been asked time and time again, but bear with me. On 2 of my pairs of trousers, the crotch is too high to fit me comfortably (as well as other issues, but I have to tackle this one first). Now my question is, how/in what way do I alter these trousers to make them fit?

I will attach pictures of a well-fitting pair (right, the plain one) as well as an ill-fitting one (left, with accessories)

IMG_20210306_234700.jpg

adrianvo

Reaction score
It's not that the crotch is too high, it's just the abomination called "low-waist trousers".

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On some trousers, you can lower the crotch by essentially "dropping" the crotch seam. Inside high-end trousers, you can sometimes find excess fabric that can be let out. However, on lower-end pants and jeans, you will not find much material, so there's nothing to let out.

With those specific pants, I'm afraid there's not much you can do.

ChoirNico

Reaction score
On some trousers, you can lower the crotch by essentially "dropping" the crotch seam. Inside high-end trousers, you can sometimes find excess fabric that can be let out. However, on lower-end pants and jeans, you will not find much material, so there's nothing to let out.

With those specific pants, I'm afraid there's not much you can do.
Is there a way to rip open a seam and add more fabric in a way that would work? Because yes, there's no extra fabric to let out, but could I basically do it myself and just... add fabric?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to rip open a seam and add more fabric in a way that would work? Because yes, there's no extra fabric to let out, but could I basically do it myself and just... add fabric?
You can add something called a “gusset”, which is a diamond shaped piece of cloth, to the crotch. It will be nearly impossible finding cloth that matches exactly. It shouldn’t be a difficult alteration for a tailor, though. Look up “crotch gusset”.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As breakaway mentioned, you can add a gusset. However, since the fabric won't match, you will draw attention down there whenever you sit, maybe even when you stand. The fabric will be noticeably mismatched, even to casual observers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.