• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I add air time?

unexpected

Reaction score
I've made a gentleman's bet with my friends about dunking a basketball. I'm a tall guy, but my natural athleticism is average (at best).

I'm looking for specific programs that people have used to raise their vertical. I'm willing to try anything- sprints, plyometrics, squats, whatever.

I'm already in pretty good shape (this year's bet was running a marathon), and I can bench 255, squat 315, DL around 285. (I'm around 190)

I'm happy with my shape and endurance, but I would really like to use this as an excuse to get more "explosive".

redgrail, if you read this, I know you embarked on a plyo routine a while ago- how's that working out for you?

so, any takers? The internet's been pretty nebulous on this (a lot of advertisements masquerading as education). I'd love to hear some opinions from people who were able to get some serious hops.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olympic lifts tend to dramatically increase my vertical leap. I never actually used the olifts to try to improve my vertical leaps, I just sort of discovered it as a side effect. It makes a lot of sense since the olifts require such extreme explosiveness. The snatch is the fastest movement in any sport.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about, what were they called, Strength shoes?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do some jumping squats

el es dee

Reaction score
box jumps, depth jumps, lunges, single leg work, squats, etc. pretty much anything that works your legs. also just keep trying. its just as much skill as anything else

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Box jumps, single legged bounds, depth jumps, combo jumps... always push yourself in height/endurance, but don't exceed over 100 impacts per day. (And don't do plyo's every day)

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
What about, what were they called, Strength shoes?

I used those back in high school and had some good results. I improved my vertical and my 40 yd dash time. I actually might still have mine somewhere.

I also did some exercises when I was rehabbing my knee after surgery in college that were helpful. I did a static wall squat for 1min, 1min30sec and 2min. Then I did climbing up 2 stairs 100 times on each leg. I also used a cybex machine and did some other rehab, but those 2 exercises helped me a lot. I rehabbed every day for 90 days or so and by the end I could dunk with 2 hands although it took longer for my knee to fully recover.

Sadly now on a really good day I might be able to dunk. But I am usually happy just to be able to grab the rim.

kever

Reaction score
I use Olympic lifts, plyos, and sprints mostly. to be honest, when I first learned to dunk in gr. 10 it was more about learning how to jump. Are you a 1 foot or 2 foot jumper? I get about 4 or 5 inches higher off of 1 foot. I learned how to drive my knee as hard as I could at the right time, and just learned how to synchronize all of my drive and momentum to get me higher. If you're a 2 foot jumper, you might want to check out some youtube videos of guys who can get up and watch their approach and takeoff. try to mimic their movement. You'll get a lot out of lifting and training hard, but practice attacking the rim a few times a week.
Can you at least touch the rim right now? how high can you touch? How tall are you?

unexpected

Reaction score
kever, I'm 6'3 without shoes. I just measured my standing reach, and it came out to about 8'.

I can touch rim, but I can't grab onto it. My natural inclination is for a two footed jump, but I've never really tried off of one foot.

How far above the rim do I reasonably have to go to be able to dunk it? 6"? 10' - 8' + 6" = 2 1/2' or a 30 inch vertical. Is that doable without being a genetic freak?

thanks for the responses so far!

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
i think kever is onto something with the way you jump. i'm 6'0 even and can grab the rim (about 3 inches above), however, i'm a 2 legged jumper. i squat more than a lot of guys that can dunk (although i'm asian and i believe that works against me since i think yao's the only asian guy whose dunked the basketball in the history of man) and they all are 1 legged jumpers.

another big thing is being able to palm the ball. again, something that i can't do. if you can't palm the ball, you need at least 6-7 inches above the rim to be able to dunk because you kind of have to control it in the air with your hands and wrist (kinda like a claw move).

i'll keep a close eye on this thread and keep trying. thanks kever for the tip on 1 or 2 legged jumping. i'll have to practice w/ 1 leg.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected
I've made a gentleman's bet with my friends about dunking a basketball. I'm a tall guy, but my natural athleticism is average (at best).

I'm looking for specific programs that people have used to raise their vertical. I'm willing to try anything- sprints, plyometrics, squats, whatever.

I'm already in pretty good shape (this year's bet was running a marathon), and I can bench 255, squat 315, DL around 285. (I'm around 190)

I'm happy with my shape and endurance, but I would really like to use this as an excuse to get more "explosive".

redgrail, if you read this, I know you embarked on a plyo routine a while ago- how's that working out for you?

so, any takers? The internet's been pretty nebulous on this (a lot of advertisements masquerading as education). I'd love to hear some opinions from people who were able to get some serious hops.

I'm not sure about how to increase your vertical. It is like you can already can dunk, you just aren't jumping correctly that was my problem for a while. I could dunk at 6'0 235 with an average or below average vertical, after I learned to bend my knees a bit more when going to rise . Look at some NBA videos and copy their techniques.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected
kever, I'm 6'3 without shoes. I just measured my standing reach, and it came out to about 8'.

I can touch rim, but I can't grab onto it. My natural inclination is for a two footed jump, but I've never really tried off of one foot.

How far above the rim do I reasonably have to go to be able to dunk it? 6"? 10' - 8' + 6" = 2 1/2' or a 30 inch vertical. Is that doable without being a genetic freak?

thanks for the responses so far!

You're going to need less vert than that because you'll get higher with a running start. 30in vert would definitely be nice though!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can you palm the ball? it's just as important as the hang. i can grab rim but can't palm a ball bigger than 28 oz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads