1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How did you find your job?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by deven01, Oct 17, 2010.

1. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

In lieu of getting the job you want, it's good advice to suggest you try starting your own business. Best case scenario, you succeed and enjoy the rewards of self-employment, being your own boss, making bank, etc, etc; worse case scenario, you fail but have learned how hard it is to make a going concern, meet a payroll (if only your own), understand what it means to be a valuable employee, a good employer, and so on. In a sense, there is no such thing as a wasting time so long as you're out there trying different things.

2. Gingahbman

Gingahbman Senior member

3. Suave

Suave Senior member

Fantastic.
    epic [​IMG]

4. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Fuuma is hilarious and correct, for the record.

I got an internship because a family member knew the head of the legal department of the company. It was supposed to be a summer internship. At the end of the summer, they asked me to work during the school year part time until December. At December, they asked me to stay until I took the bar exam. After the bar exam, I contacted my former boss and he offered me my current job.

In conclusion: use every connection you can to get your foot in the door. Once you are in, you have to earn your place almost every day over and over again.

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

In lieu of getting the job you want, it's good advice to suggest you try starting your own business. Best case scenario, you succeed and enjoy the rewards of self-employment, being your own boss, making bank, etc, etc; worse case scenario, you fail but have learned how hard it is to make a going concern, meet a payroll (if only your own), understand what it means to be a valuable employee, a good employer, and so on. In a sense, there is no such thing as a wasting time so long as you're out there trying different things.

+1. Self-employment really dials you into reality.

I got my current job because a friend was nailing someone who worked there. Got me an interview.

6. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

The way things are right now... nepotism might be the only way to find a job quickly. [​IMG]

7. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

I got my job in a fairly typical way: a friend told me about a new firm in the field I wanted to join that was being very successful and might need to hire. I then looked at who the practice leader at the firm was and sent him an email describing my situation and asking him if he'd like to do coffee. We went for coffee, had a good chat, I then sent him my CV and then I went through the rest of the process (though by that point I pretty much had the inside track on it). Got a job out of it and it's been a lot of fun...

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Applied to a "Help Wanted" ad.

In interview, declared my comfort level with male nudity and giving/receiving gay oral and anal sex.

Received job.

Gave job(s).

9. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I work in a highly specialized area where job security was pretty much a given, Not any more: last move I made was in a less than desirable geographic location, with close to a hundred applicants for a position. It's time for another move, yet it's not going to happen any time soon.[​IMG]

10. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

I got my job in a fairly typical way: a friend told me about a new firm in the field I wanted to join that was being very successful and might need to hire. I then looked at who the practice leader at the firm was and sent him an email describing my situation and asking him if he'd like to do coffee. We went for coffee, had a good chat, I then sent him my CV and then I went through the rest of the process (though by that point I pretty much had the inside track on it). Got a job out of it and it's been a lot of fun...

Do employers/recruiters see through these attempts? Not saying you weren't genuinely interested in meeting the guy for coffee, but the logical conclusion is that you're going to ask for a job/interview at some point.

I've simply never asked someone to meet for coffee like this becuase I feel they would see through it as an attempt to get a job with them, is this not the case?

11. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I've simply never asked someone to meet for coffee like this becuase I feel they would see through it as an attempt to get a job with them, is this not the case?

Depends...

Sometimes I do this, but mostly to dissect their brains. I use the answers I get from them for jobs I really want. Some of these guys are really open with you and you do actually learn something.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Do employers/recruiters see through these attempts? Not saying you weren't genuinely interested in meeting the guy for coffee, but the logical conclusion is that you're going to ask for a job/interview at some point.

When I've seen that strategy used, the person was interested in the company/position without initially wanting an interview. Bypassed HR and spoke directly to the manager and went from there. Managers typically hate HR, because HR is fucking stupid, so this works.

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

In conclusion: use every connection you can to get your foot in the door. Once you are in, you have to earn your place almost every day over and over again.

+100

It's all about the connections and who you know.

Work on that!

14. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Working for one of the business my dad started. He started it, sold it. Started another...started another...I don't really stay that busy anymore. We're so successful I don't have to work much.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've gotten 4 jobs through connections - 3 people I had worked with in previous jobs, one a good friend of mine introduced me to his boss who was looking for somebody with my profile.

2 jobs through ads on monster

1 job by sending out unsolicited resumes to specific companies

1 from a newspaper ad

here is the best advice that I can give you - think about what you have to offer that not that many people have, and try to leverage that. for the first 5 years, be willing to do all sorts of shit, twice I have taken steps backwards because I thought that it would lead to a major step forward, and the gamble and sacrifice paid off.

good luck

16. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

Well, it worked because of a couple of factors:

1) My industry is not one where you have recruiters and a lot of HR people looking around for folks.

2) My introductory email stated that I was interested in the industry and looking at my options. I asked him if we could talk so I could learn more. It was a pretty straight-forward "come and get me if you want" kind of thing.

3) We had a few friends in common, which may have helped.

4) I was pretty confident he was looking at hiring.

In any case, it is a good thing to reach out to someone at the place you want to work for right away. Even if they don't have the power to hire you, they can still put in a good word for you and facilitate things. Also, it shows that you are eager and entrepreneurial to a certain extent, which is always something firms are looking for.

17. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

best way is to network. almost i know of that graduated in '10 got in through networks. (of 10, 1 got in b/c it was TFA, the other got in b/c she has crazy credentials with RTF)

18. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I got my job through networking. You would be surprised how much people want to help you once they get to know you. I had applied for an internship mentioning someone I knew in the company in my coverletter, and got a call from a recruiter for an on campus interview. Someone from my network who gives the firm a ton of business and put in a good word for me and I was offered a paid summer internship. Worked my ass off and was offered a job.

Do recruiters come to your school? Recruiters like to hire people they have gotten to know, so whenever they are presenting at your school make it a point to go an meet them and stay in contact.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Job posting at school out of undergrad. Campus recruiting out of grad school. Guess I'm pretty lazy when it comes to job searching...

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

When I've seen that strategy used, the person was interested in the company/position without initially wanting an interview. Bypassed HR and spoke directly to the manager and went from there. Managers typically hate HR, because HR is fucking stupid, so this works.

More lulz than I know what to do with. Good mangers love HR. They know that if the shit hits the fan, it's HR that saves their bacon and staunches any bleeding for the organization. If you hate and/or circumvent HR, you are an idiot.