How did you find your job?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by deven01, Oct 17, 2010.

1. deven01

deven01 Member

Hey guys,

I'm graduating on December 2010 and I'm looking for a job. Actually, I'm planning to look for a job.
    I'm a business management major and I was wondering how you guys found your job and when.
    Social networking, direct applying, agency, etc. If you guys have any advice or comment, let me know.

Cheers [​IMG]

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

You'll hear this a lot, but I'll say it here-- direct applying will give you the worst possible results. Don't even touch job listings. Instead, talk to people through every channel you can find.

I used Linkedin to contact a dude who heads a small company in the industry I was interested in, and after a few telephone and email conversations, he offered me an (unpaid) internship. It's a modest start, but it was much more effective than the fruitless months I spent with job listings.

3. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    I started my first company before I graduated. 2 years later sold it. Started another...started another...now I stay busy [​IMG] I would also advise you to network...directly applying doesn't put you in the best position

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I started my first company before I graduated. 2 years later sold it. Started another...started another...now I stay busy [​IMG]

I would also advise you to network...directly applying doesn't put you in the best position

Can you please shut the fuck up now about your life and lifestyle? You're everything that is wrong about current styleforum; a massive ball of pathetic posturing and insignificant opinions. I wish we'd meet so I could beat you up with a baseball bat and set your body on fire. Kill yourself.

5. CouttsClient

Can you please shut the fuck up now about your life and lifestyle? You're everything that is wrong about current styleforum; a massive ball of pathetic posturing and insignificant opinions. I wish we'd meet so I could beat you up with a baseball bat and set your body on fire. Kill yourself.
    It's amusing how you perceive things said here. It says quite a bit more about you than it says about me. Question was asked and answered. Starting and running my businesses is my JOB. If you don't like it that is your problem and I'm not concerned with your problems.

6. Fuuma

It's amusing how you perceive things said here. It says quite a bit more about you than it says about me. Question was asked and answered. Starting and running my businesses is my JOB. If you don't like it that is your problem and I'm not concerned with your problems.
    Can you go even 5 minutes without talking about you, your "success", your life you fucking maggot? There are ways to contribute without making it about you, it would appears you haven't tried yet... Every time I see you posting it is a declaration of status you cuntstache. At least try to mix it up.

7. CouttsClient

Can you go even 5 minutes without talking about you, your "success", your life you fucking maggot? There are ways to contribute without making it about you, it would appears you haven't tried yet...
    Interesting...how does one explain how they got their "job" if they don't talk about what they do? I'm intrigued...

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

wtf fuuma... A little irate this morning?

9. Fuuma

Interesting...how does one explain how they got their "job" if they don't talk about what they do? I'm intrigued...

1) He is looking for a job so it might be useful to give him networking advices even if they don't apply to your own situation

2) if you want to talk about starting your own companies you can say something like "another option might be starting your own company, here are some advice about that blablabla"

3) Contrast this with your autobiographical "look at the size of my career, look at me stroking my career, I'm keeping busy baby!!" and you'll have a hard time contradicting me. You are a fucking poseur and trash like you is fostering a climate of penis measuring contest on this board. We are very often discussing luxury which is a somewhat delicate topic and quickly veer into looking at a bunch of cocks proudly singing on their large pile of shit. If you can't manage jump off a fucking cliff or at least get the fuck out of here.

10. CouttsClient

1) He is looking for a job so it might be useful to give him networking advices even if they don't apply to your own situation 2) if you want to talk about starting your own companies you can say something like "another option might be starting your own company, here are some advice about that blablabla" 3) Contrast this with your autobiographical "look at the size of my career, look at me stroking my career, I'm keeping busy baby!!" and you'll have a hard time contradicting me. You are a fucking poseur and trash like you is fostering a climate of penis measuring contest on this board. We are very often discussing luxury which is a somewhat delicate topic and quickly veer into looking at a bunch of cocks proudly singing on their large pile of shit. If you can't manage jump off a fucking cliff or at least get the fuck out of here.
    1. I commented as to a general direction of what I thought about the job searching process. If he had more detailed questions I would certainly give more detailed answers. 2. I'm not giving anyone advice about starting a company unless they ask for it. I just mentioned how I got my job. 3. You're so delightful...I take every opportunity to point out that there are other ways to make it in this world that don't involve working for other people... I didn't say I "I'm getting richer by the minute!!! WHOOO HOOO!". I said I'm staying BUSY. Had nothing to do with some glamourous lifestyle. Just because my story isn't one you like doesn't mean I won't tell it nor can I give advice outside of my own knowledge. I grew up with nothing and managed to achieve some significant things in my short time alive so save the bullshit about "posturing". I never attempted to make this thread about ME but you've certainly done a good job making it about YOU.

11. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

Depending on how well-developed your school's alumni network network is, this might be another option. Your college's career services department should also have some sort of listing website -- definitely exhaust everything there as well.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This thread is getting delicious [​IMG]

As to job finding...it sounds like this is your first, post graduation? I would just work it all. Trade journals, job fairs, networking...where ever, how ever you can get your resume in front of people. Are you willing to move? That will greatly expand your chances.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I found several places of business in which I really wanted to work, and cold-sent them resumes. Originally, I was only asking for an apprenticeship kind of program, but my current job called me in for an interview, and after nailing the interview (b/c I'm awesome) I was offered my position.

14. CouttsClient

I don't know where you are so I can't make any specific recommendations but you might also want to check with your local social/business clubs to see if they have prospective new member gatherings...you might do well to get out there and make your face/name known

15. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

The book "Knock 'em Dead" (by Yates) has all the answers on how to get a job. *EVERYTHING* is in there, including how to answer every interview question you'll ever be asked.

Get the book and read it all.

Done.