• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you feel after ordering your first high dollar bespoke/mtm?

Jstern35

Reaction score
Hey all...so I just ordered my first MTM suit and after dropping nearly 3x the cost of my normal suits I can't help but feel a bit uneasy. I can't tell if I'm just anxious, nervous about buying a suit I haven't actually worn or even fully seen, or if its actually buyers remorse. Obviously no one can tell me what I'm feeling but I'm curious how other people felt after purchasing their first high dollar suit. Should I give the designer a call to put my mind at ease or is this a pretty normal feeling? Any input appreciated.

Regards

dirkweems

Reaction score
Its normal to feel anxious. Not just about your new expensive suit. You will feel the same way when you retain a decorator to furnish your new apartment, or have a similar service performed where you have are looking at past results that are not related to you, or are going by the reputation of the seller. If your tailor/cutter is a seasoned pro with a solid professional reputation you should be ok. However, if you are doing your nephew a favor and signing up as his first bespoke client after he graduates from the Walmart Associates Academy, I would be worried.

Think about the times you get your hair cut. You don't really know the outcome, but if you go to the same barber each time, you aren't really all that worried. However, you may be decidedly nervous if you go to someone new, who also charges 3X as much. Hair grows back. Suits can be fixed. Most importantly, you live and learn.

If you are really worried, call the tailor. A good tailor should be able to put your mind at ease, and not add to your insecurity and anxiety. He's probably been through this before with many of his new clients.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
JS -
It's natural to feel anxious about it, as you have invested a lot of money in it. I can pretty much guarantee you that it won't be perfect. But at the fittings, just try to relax and take an honest look at how the suit is progressing and be honest with your tailor about how you want it to look different. Then once you've got it, just wear it with pleasure. There will surely be things that you decide you don't like and want to change for the next commission, and surely if you post a pic on SF, someone will find 18 things that are horribly horribly wrong with it. Try not to let this bother you and just enjoy the process and the finished product while being as honest as you can with your tailor.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have gone somewhere good it will be fine. Remember for you this is unusual but for people like me its a full time job, I have made thousands of suits and your tailor probably has too. Just let him get on with it.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have gone somewhere good it will be fine. Remember for you this is unusual but for people like me its a full time job, I have made thousands of suits and your tailor probably has too. Just let him get on with it.

"You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself."
bigstar[1].gif

Jstern35

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.. Definitely helped eased my mind a bit. I'm just the eternal pessimist so I always anticipate the worst. The place I decided on was pretty light on reviews but all were very positive. Plus, I went with my father who is in the garment industry and has 30+ years experience; if he feels good about him, I probably shouldn't be too worried. When I go in for the first fitting in a few weeks I'll just have to make sure I'm vocal and let him know if something isn't coming together the way I was anticipating. Thanks again.

J

cosmic

Reaction score
It felt good because the fit was so much superior to anything I had worn before. Although this was tinged with regret that I would now have to replace 90% of my suits and sports jackets over the next 6-12 months, at not inconsiderable expense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads