1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How did you decide a career?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NeedMoney, Jun 7, 2011.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You are a sick, sick man.

Welcome to SF!

2. ALDRICH

ALDRICH Member

No one can analysis on your self better than you.Always ask two question from your self that what can you do and what should you do .You will find the answers according to your nature and that would be the path/land where you can construct the building of your career effectively.

3. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Active Member

South Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
    My career was kind of decided when I discovered I was reasonably good with certain skills, such as problem solving, methodical thinking and having an 'ability' to understand and get my head around things. For information, I am a technical consultant. I have worked for a number of companies and run my own consultancy, but now work for a global service supplier.

I identified something I had a skill with, and ran with it. However, when I was growing up I often thought about being a doctor (having spent lots of time in hospitals), but the downfall was I found academia frustrating, prefering to see things happen in the real world than read about them in a book. So the IT route seemed a little more suitable to this, particularly as there is no strict requirement for a particular qualification (as you can guess, IT related degrees and diplomas are half out of date by the time they reach you in the post, so really the conceptual side of things is pretty much what you get from University / School)/

However, as I am now a little older, I regret my decision. So how did I choose my career - I identified something I was good at and thought I could really excel at, and developed it. It worked for me so far, I have a good job, earn a good wage, drive a reasonable car, can buy myself pretty much what I want.

The best advice I can give (and this is a concept I think my in laws have yet to grasp), never let anyone put you down. Nobody is different from you, and at a basic level you have the same opportunities as everyone else. Pick something you think you would like to do and go for it. If it doesn't work out, look at where you went wrong and try again with the benefit of experience. Also, risks are OK - some of our caveman ancestors (or me today as I haven't shaved) took risks, went our, caught buffallo, scored a hot cave girl (preferably with a striking resemblence to Amber Heard) and feasted. The cautious ones, well, they sat in thier caves and starved.

4. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

hey birdman, what does it take to be a lawyer??
    this.
    - I like Iron man - I like chemistry/biology (especially anatomy&physiology)/science in general (except physics) - I like clothes - I like making money what should I do?

5. johnaus

johnaus Member

'Street Pharmacist.'

- I like Iron man
    Lots of time to watch TV when you've 'sampled your own merch' and can't sleep for 3 days.

- I like chemistry/biology (especially anatomy&physiology)/science in general (except physics)
    Can't run a meth lab without chemistry and the anatomy part will be useful for sewing up your colleagues when they get shot or a lab explodes.

- I like clothes
    You are your own boss, want to wear buttless chaps all day? that's fine. Want to grow a seedy moustache and carry a pimp cane? Go ahead.

- I like making money
    Be good at your job and you will make plenty.

1 person likes this.
  6. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

I was thinking more becoming the next tony stark :/

good laugh though lol

7. NeedMoney

NeedMoney Member

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I ended up picking Accounting and I'm almost done with the degree. Wish I chose computer science though.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...nothing wrong with accounting. If you were serious about school, you should have gotten a good all-around business education, with a focus on accounting. You can use that to get into most non-technical fields.

Take a few computer science classes with your electives. You'll be able to figure out if you REALLY like it, and you'll be able to develop some basic skills in that area. Maybe with a few extra classes, you can declare it as a minor.

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

If you hate it now, wait until you spend a couple years as a staff auditor at a big 4 firm. You're going to hate it even more.