1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How did you decide a career?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NeedMoney, Jun 7, 2011.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

I began drawing plans when I was in the fifth grade. I knew then that I wanted to be an architect.

Your going to spend a great bit of your life at this ... pick something that will make you happy!

2. Matthew.1

Matthew.1 New Member

Well i decided to choose computers as a career as Technology never ends!

3. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

1. Things you like to do
    2. Things you are good at
    3. Things you can get paid to do

Find the intersection of these three things in order to succeed.

4. reil

reil New Member

So while its true that you don't need much math for software engineering, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're interested in it. Most software engineers sit around doing tech design, coding, and testing all day. It would extremely tedious for someone who doesn't enjoy coding.

To find something that intersects all three things Saltricks listed is probably uncommon, I'm guessing you wouldn't have created this thread if you had something. If you hit two, you can scrape by while doing something you love or you could be financially stable but bored. I tend to see more of the first type here. I would guess the second would lead towards depression.

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

1. Things you like to do
    2. Things you are good at
    3. Things you can get paid to do

Find the intersection of these three things in order to succeed.

If one finds that intersection ... most of the time one is paid to play.

1 person likes this.
  6. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I don't really remember how it happened, but it just did.

7. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

For some of us folks, we might be good at something we may not "love."

And sometimes the things we are good at make more money than things we love.

Choose wisely.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

And sometimes the things we are good at make more money than things we love.
    But why spend a lifetime doing something that you don't love? Money isn't always the answer ... unless, of course, money is what one loves.

9. chas

chas Senior member

I graduated from a midwest party school with a major in Earth Science and a minor in English. Moved to NYC to follow a girl and got a job out of the New York Times doing Environmental Consulting. That was 9.5 years ago. Still in the same field and couldn't be happier.

I just studied what I liked, had fun and let the chips fall where they may.

1 person likes this.
  10. randallr

randallr Senior member

I wouldn't go that far, I just have other dreams.

I think I could easily do accounting, but it bores me too much.

A lot of people say this until they get into upper level accounting courses. You really have to enjoy it somewhat to get through it. I'll be studying for my CPA exam for the next four months and if I didn't have some passion for rules and numbers combined I'd be ready to jump off a bridge. Actuallly, it's only been a week and I'm considering it already.

1 person likes this.
  11. Blazerd

Blazerd Member

When you decide a career, You must have to see career growth. Every business field needs marketing department. Marketing jobs are in great demand these days because of the many progressive businesses that arise through sudden economic depression.
    [​IMG]

12. johnfernandis

johnfernandis New Member

As I want to say that making for good and best career then people should go in the field of their interest and passion and in which they can enjoy the work.And by this they can do their best in the work and can go long ahead.As in my case I have craze for new invention and to get knowledge and day by day new things and I like all this in computer field so I am doing my bachelor degree in computer engineering.And I am enjoying my study and job in It co. now a days also.

13. SD1

SD1 Senior member

I wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 7, so my path was chosen early.

Moved to NYC to follow a girl and got a job out of the New York Times doing Environmental Consulting. That was 9.5 years ago. Still in the same field and couldn't be happier.

I'm in the enviro consulting field as well. Love it.

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 7, so my path was chosen early.

I'm in the enviro consulting field as well. Love it.

How do you fellas like the field and how did you get into it? What sort of consulting do you do? Air? Water? Lead/Asbestos?

I'm asking because my BS and MS are in that field and most of the people I talk to have no idea such field exists.

15. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

A lot of people say this until they get into upper level accounting courses. You really have to enjoy it somewhat to get through it. I'll be studying for my CPA exam for the next four months and if I didn't have some passion for rules and numbers combined I'd be ready to jump off a bridge. Actuallly, it's only been a week and I'm considering it already.

Hang in there dude, I just borrowed the 4 Gleim review books from a co-worker and I'm planning to take BEC in October. The firm I work for will pay for Becker so I'll get that as well. Many have done it before us, so it's definitely not impossible [​IMG]

16. SD1

SD1 Senior member

How do you fellas like the field and how did you get into it? What sort of consulting do you do? Air? Water? Lead/Asbestos?

I'm asking because my BS and MS are in that field and most of the people I talk to have no idea such field exists.

quick and dirty- started as a fisheries biologist with the state; went to the county where i did surface water quality, seagrass studies, watershed plans, etc.; went to private consulting about 3.5 yrs ago.

I do primarily surface water quality studies, stormwater permitting, restoration, BMPs, TMDLs, NPDES compliance and assorted other acronyms! I still do occasional fish, lake/stream watershed mgmt, and seagrass work. I also do a lot of business development/marketing and project management, both of which I also enjoy immensely.

17. DaveB

DaveB Senior member

I got stuck in an accounting class because I had one of the latest orientations freshmen year. I had a parent who was an accountant and wanted nothing to do with it.

The teacher was awful and made the tests brutal but sent an e-mail to a few us suggesting we choose it as a major. I had a knack for it and as far as jobs/salary it was pretty practical.

As I got into the upper level with more intricate projects I started to really enjoy it to the point where given a chance to choose writing a paper about google or SOX I choose to write about SOX.

Doing my masters and studying for FAR now and I still find the stuff somewhat interesting.

18. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.

For me it was simple, electrical engineering, which I liked at the time. Still do, but technical fields like engineering and computer science/programming are subject to large layoffs, which is the downside. I definitely concur that it should be something you like and are interested in. If you are looking for stability and low probability of layoffs, the health sciences is a good choice-bio engineering, nursing, med tech, occupational therapy, and the like. Software engineering can be good, but be prepared to move to find a job you really like.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The process for me has been rather organic, and is still going. I'd always been a nerd, always reading on my own at home, doing little experiments, hitting up museums, etc. I liked a lot of my classes in high school, but realized going into college that it seemed pretty useless to do something like History or English simply because I'd enjoy it. I ended up deciding to head into the sciences, I'd done well in them in high school and really enjoyed my three semesters of chemistry.

I signed up to take General Chemistry, it counted for the chem degree, and was a pre-req for both physics and bio. Also took physics that semester. I did well in both, but pretty quickly realized that the mindset for physics was not for me. I got a job on campus doing research that summer and basically never looked back.

Went to grad school, picked something that I was interested in and vaguely seemed to have job potential. Suffered through for 4.5 years, got my PhD as an experimental physical chemist, hung around town while my wife graduated and got a teaching job.

Now I'm looking into research positions again and things seem promising. Haven't gotten anything yet, but I worked for the right guy as it turns out. I'll probably end up in the DC defense industry, or working for the government. Vaguely thinking about moving into science policy sometime down the road, or moving back into teaching when I'm older and have less energy and drive. We'll see, things have worked out ok so far.

20. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

But why spend a lifetime doing something that you don't love? Money isn't always the answer ... unless, of course, money is what one loves.

Beccause doing what you love but not being able to pay rent is pretty worthless?

I started to really enjoy it to the point where given a chance to choose writing a paper about google or SOX I choose to write about SOX.

You are a sick, sick man.