How dangerous is it to ride a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soph, Feb 7, 2008.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Don't open this and specially this

[​IMG] HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Don't open the second link unless you have a really strong stomach. [​IMG]

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Doesn't really bother me. I find it fascinating. Sort of like how some people find exploded views of mechanical objects fascinating.

That being said, I'm sure those photos are enough to make some people lose their shit.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

[​IMG] HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Don't open the second link unless you have a really strong stomach. [​IMG]
    Ugh. Wearing safety equipment won't do shit when your body is torn limb from limb. That shit looks like leftovers from Iraq. I was wondering what a squid was. Thought that was sailors. This is from wikipedia. Often young, squids are identified by their reckless abandon (speeding, wheelies, stoppies etc.) and by their inappropriate attire (shorts, backwards ball caps, flip flops, wifebeater T-shirt, etc). Such a rider eschews all or most of the protective gear worn by many riders (helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, and boots) and the social and legal norms of riding behaviour, and as such is looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who also refer to them as "organ donors", "Zip-Splats", "a Stillie", "Skin Crayons", "Sausage Creatures"[1] and "soon-to-be-ex-motorcyclists". They could also be called "squids" because of paramedics' slang for motorcyclists. In a bad accident without leathers or other good protection, it's possible for the torso to become detached from the legs. At that point, the intestines can drag along behind the torso - thus giving a grisly "tentacled body" appearance.

5. gsxrlawyer

gsxrlawyer Well-Known Member

I ride and I will say that it is extremely dangerous. It gets even more dangerous when cars either don't see you or want to hurt you (yes, I've seen this many times.) Worse part is that the idiots that get publicized for high speed chases and major accidents were speeding excessively and don't even have a motorcycle license. This gives a horrible image of sportbike riders.

Wearing full gear is a smart idea, but if you want to be as safe as possible on a bike, find a track near you. I've had many close calls on the street and I decided that I won't put my life in the hands of moronic drivers who can't or won't see me. The track is where a bike is truly at home.

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

You are such a killjoy.[​IMG]

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You could get killed walkin' your doggy!

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

You are such a killjoy.[​IMG]

It's far better to be smokin' a stogie in a Suburban than to be a red grease mark on the Kennedy.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

a good friend of mine who has a lot of experience with riding a bike got into a crash over the weekend. he ended up doing a flip on the bike, but somehow walked away with minor bruises. Bike was a 1950s Norton too. painful.

10. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Link

I'd say it's a lot more dangerous to ride a bike if you don't have the proper protection AND you can't operate the bike. Those two things are overwhelmingly (or seem to be) the major causes of crashes on bikes.

11. fortune

fortune Senior member

second one, all the while gross, is depressing as shit. reality check huzzah!

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

second one, all the while gross, is depressing as shit. reality check huzzah!
    See, that stuff CAN happen, and it's important to remember that, but it doesn't happen very often if you ride safely. If you're not on an overpowered sportbike juiced on testosterone and riding way over your head, or conversely, on an antiquated cruiser with no gear and riding from bar to bar at night, you're much safer than the average of the statistics, because those groups skew the stats so much. Just Sturgis itself probably skews the statistics pretty far.

Oh, and stay away from group rides larger than 3-4 people you know reasonably well. Those are a recipe for disaster.

P.s. those kinds of horrific accidents happen in cars or independent of transportation as well. I remember a lady here took a sheet of 7/8" plywood in the face through her Jeep's windhshield a while back... the extra two wheels didn't help her much. (Though a helmet might have.)

13. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

I was wondering what a squid was. Thought that was sailors. This is from wikipedia.
    I always thought they were called squids because they were quick in a straight line, but had to basically stop to negotiate corners, much like the eponymous jet-stream-powered sea creature.

14. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I always thought they were called squids because they were quick in a straight line, but had to basically stop to negotiate corners, much like the eponymous jet-stream-powered sea creature.

Haha, yeah point and squirt, point and squirt.

Tck13, I saw those same stats a few days ago. Rather comforting since I don't ride like a squid. So if you ride smart/defensively and wear protective gear, you could get killed walking your doggy so just enjoy riding I guess.

15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Yeah I actually thought "SQUID" stood for:

Stupid, QUick and Inevitably Dead