1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How dangerous is it to ride a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soph, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

?????????
    It's so much damn fun, but an ex girlfriend of mine is trying to scare the crap out of me. I've never seen data on it, probably because I can't handle the truth.[​IMG]

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

when I was younger, I really wanted a motorcyle. I rode one a few times, and it was a huge blast. then I had a friend, who was one of the most competant people I knew with physical activities and very cool headed, get into an acident that put him in the hospital for about 6 months and left him mildly handicapped. he had been doing everything right, but a car had tapped him and pushed him over. nothing that he could have controled

and that convinced me not to do it.

the big problem is that you have no control over what will cause the problem, the cars do.

that said - hey, you don't have any responsiblities yet, do you? so, if you get squished under a truck, who is really going to care. live a little.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Instead of a bike, I'd rather have this:

[​IMG]

Jon.

4. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

as a pre-med student, i worked in UMD shock trauma center about every other day, we would have someone come in who was in a motorcycle accident. they would come in really messed up, with massive internal injuries.

i specifically remember one guy who flipped over his motorcylce and basically did cartwheels for 20 feet and broke both arms and legs.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

in the city where I live.....very. I would love to get a bike but I am certain I would get hit within weeks, with all the loonies that drive like they are in downtown Shanghai

When we were in Paris last month, our first day we were walking around the area our hotel was in and we actually saw a guy on motorbike get hit by a car. Fortunately he was ok as he got up and walked over to the car to yell at him, but it was pretty crazy cuz he got hit fairly hard and flew off the bike

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I was all ready to get a motorcycle as soon as I moved out of my parents' house (they took the hard line, "As long as you live under our roof" stance on that one), until one of my best friends got in an accident on the freeway, through no fault of his own. He survived, but one of his legs was almost completely shattered--he had metal sticking out of his leg for months and months afterward, and never lost the limp.

Not gonna lie, though, I still think about getting one. If/when I move out of the city, I still might.

7. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Is not the rider's proximity to death the thrill of riding a motorcycle?

8. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I love motorcycles and have a girl friend who rides every weekend. She rides with a group. If I $$ to blow, I"ll get a Ducati. What's holding me back is a childhood memory of a man crawling on his side to the side of the road, with one leg and motorcycle left behind. [​IMG]

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Generally, I could care less about motorbikes. But I saw a vintage BMW one on the streets of DC a few months ago and I'm bent on getting one someday

10. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

you make it as dangerous as you want it to be. I am safer on the track than the street. best thing ever, i rarely ride the streets anymore though just club racing. [​IMG]

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Get one, so you can be like Charlie Sheen in Wall Street.

12. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Back when I was 14 I went trials/dirtbiking in the bush with a friend. I did not see a rock when going up the side of a hill and was thrown off the bike. Landed on my right forearm on a rock and broke it, rolled down the hill and landed on the broken arm again, which pushed the broken bone thru the skin. My friend had to go ride out and get help, which took about an hour. The only thing that got me through the pain was some weed.

No I was not doped out when we were riding.

13. Karo

Karo Senior member

I'd love to ride a motorcycle, but I've seen 2 motorcycle accidents right here in my home when I was smoking in the balcony. They both smashed onto the railing at a turn just below my apartment, oh and one of them was a cop too. I think there were no serious injuries in both accidents, maybe you should get a bike.

14. pauliodotnet

blah, take a safety course. every motorcycle accident that has ever happened is and always will be the riders fault.

15. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

You must absolutely wear a helmet at all times - even if you live in a state that does not require it. I was in a very low-speed accident (long story, and my fault), and I could not imagine what it would have been like without something to protect my head.

You break a leg, you get laid up in a cast for awhile. You break your skull, you die.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Dangerous enough to get you laid. Can anyone contribute statistics aside from anecdotal evidence (on the accidents part)?

17. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Bad idea IMO. I was driving to philly from NY on the belt parkway a month or so ago and I see this guy coming up behind me, weaving in and out of traffic. He comes around me and as he cuts in front of me a BMW SUV changes lanes and gives him a good knock. He wobbled for a bit and layed his bike down about 10 ft in front of my bumper as we're both going 50 Mph. I slammed on my brakes despite some idiot up my ass behind me and stopped with this guy maybe a foot or so in front of my tires, so close that I could barely see him out of my windshield.

Now the guy was riding like an idiot but I would've felt terrible if I made him into hamburger meat. When I saw he was alright and didnt need an ambulance, I laid into him for about 5 min.

DL

18. pauliodotnet

19. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Yes, it's exceedingly dangerous. But you can do things to minimize the risk, like wear full gear, take motorcycle safety course and don't ride while intoxicated. Believe it or not, doing these simple things will take you out of the majority of motorcycle accidents.

Buying a motorcycle was a hard decision for me. Every time I swing my leg over the bike, I wonder if today's going to be the day I crash. Still, I get so much pleasure from riding, I don't think I could give it up. In the end it's a personal decision. I'm of the attitude, "get busy living or get busy dying." There's inherent risk in any activity you do. You need to decide for yourself the amount of risk you're willing to accept. You have no dependents, but if you did, I think it would be responsible to get life and disability insurance. Surprisingly, the insurance does not factor in motorcycle riding, so it's not particularly expensive.

Socal, you seem like a Ducati kind of guy. A Monster perhaps? It's a great starter bike.

20. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Can anyone contribute statistics aside from anecdotal evidence (on the accidents part)?

The most comprehensive study done is a little dated now, it's called the Hurt Report:
    http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html