1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Jun 17, 2010.

1. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Had the wierdest fucking dream last night, otter was in it.

the dream was just a picture slowly zooming in on his crotch right

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I got several comments about my Cazal eyeframes last night at a restaurant.

I suspect with those sorts of things, people are compelled to comment whether or not they actually appreciate the look.

3. jet

jet Senior member

You sound like one of those guys who gets paid to write for a niche interest blog/magazine/whatever, so you never had to develop beyond your comfortable self image (and writing style). Honestly, "fuck you" is a better comeback than 90% of everything, especially when you're saying it to someone you don't know. It shows that you disrespect them, but also that you don't care too much about them.

Then again, Jet sounds like a Barney's showroom salesperson with Tourette's and Wernicke's Aphasia, so I mean whatever.

and you look like you have angelman syndrome

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

A simple shoulder shrug is usually a good enough response imo

5. jet

jet Senior member

Add two more to the nutsack, makeshift cretin and electricity swingin'.

6. Razele

Razele Senior member

You sound like one of those guys who gets paid to write for a niche interest blog/magazine/whatever, so you never had to develop beyond your comfortable self image (and writing style). Honestly, "fuck you" is a better comeback than 90% of everything, especially when you're saying it to someone you don't know. It shows that you disrespect them, but also that you don't care too much about them. Then again, Jet sounds like a Barney's showroom salesperson with Tourette's and Wernicke's Aphasia, so I mean whatever.
    Those two things are completely unrelated???? I also don't know how you could work and / or communicate with word salad...

7. Eason

Eason Senior member

the dream was just a picture slowly zooming in on his crotch right

He was trying to get me into swinging (0)

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

it doesn't cost much money at all to not look like shit, they're just too fucking lazy to care
    Ehhh nah I think it's cause they have more important shit on their mind

Really how important is it that clothes are of immaculate quality and near-tailored fit

When you really put that in perspective the whole thing is kind of vain and silly

I live in NYC and I try to stay out of Soho to avoid ridicule. Most of my friends say I'm a good dresser. I think I hit my stride back in 2006-07 though. I am looking to recapture my wave.

9. Vinnie Vegas

Vinnie Vegas Well-Known Member

You sound like one of those guys who gets paid to write for a niche interest blog/magazine/whatever, so you never had to develop beyond your comfortable self image (and writing style). Honestly, "fuck you" is a better comeback than 90% of everything, especially when you're saying it to someone you don't know.
    None of that is even close to accurate.

If the witty comeback was good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for me: "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

I can't believe that on a forum about style, someone is advocating the use of "fuck you" ahead of an actual witticism. Panache should extend beyond just the things you wear; it should include the way you speak as well. This is why some of the greatest wits of all time have enjoyed trading insults with people.

More importantly, who puts up with insults from people they don't know?

10. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

I've only gotten honest criticism from my friends when I look a bit silly. Only compliments from strangers as far as I can remember, except maybe a "you don't look like a metal/punk fan" once or twice.
    I do love lobbing a good hobo insult. "I say, dear boy, did you barter those trousers from a hobo?!"
    this would be the best comeback.

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

I can't believe that on a forum about style, someone is advocating the use of "fuck you" ahead of an actual witticism. Panache should extend beyond just the things you wear; it should include the way you speak as well. This is why some of the greatest wits of all time have enjoyed trading insults with people.
    I'll reply with something like "Oh, so I suppose I should dress like the mannequin from *insert whatever store they look like they shop at* instead?" or "Heaven forbid somebody should have class... Maybe I should trade my clothes with a hobo like you did."
    This is not at all witty.

12. Vinnie Vegas

Vinnie Vegas Well-Known Member

This is not at all witty.
    That's a matter of opinion, but it's certainly wittier than "fuck you"...

13. mattt

mattt Senior member

That's a matter of opinion, but it's certainly wittier than "fuck you"...

nope, you sound like a douche, actually.

14. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Well, if you really want to make them feel inadequate and burn a bridge, look them up and down slowly, give them a judging look, roll your eyes, snort then walk away. Even better is muttering "jersey" under your breath as you slowly shake your head as you walk away.

15. Eason

Eason Senior member

Vinnie looks and sounds like a MC'er.

16. dznqbit

dznqbit Active Member

Seattle is pretty easy to get on with and I don't dress like a ninja or anything too crazy. The only time I ever get guff is when I wear these short shorts that hit mid-thigh. Jesus Christ evvvvvvvvvvvvvverybody feels the need to comment.

17. max_r

max_r Senior member

i can just picture all these "witty comebacks" being said with that generic gay guy voice and a lisp

18. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Careful with these witty comebacks or the recipient may never recover from those daggers.

19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

None of that is even close to accurate.

If the witty comeback was good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for me: "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

More importantly, who puts up with insults from people they don't know?

fuck you

20. Max Biggavel

Max Biggavel Senior member

anyone who gets negative comments for wearing skinny or slim jeans must live in a bunk ass town