1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Jun 17, 2010.

1. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

After reading some of these comments, I can add one more reason as to why i'm immensely happy to live in NY

2. paulesquire1

paulesquire1 Well-Known Member

+99. I enjoy every time someone, on a style forum, says there are better things to spend money on than clothes and things having to do with style. Surely, you have to know when you post that, that everyone on SF disagrees with that almost by definition by being a member and reading posts on this site. [​IMG]

And yeah, 18yr commitment or clothes... How can I possibly decide?!? [​IMG]

The funny thing is you can be an adult, have all those quoted responsibilities you think are a waste and still have more sense of style than the lil kids that still get allowances from mommy on this site.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

If people are taking the piss out of your clothes, then your not dressing well even if your wearing red wing and APC. I've only been getting compliments over the last year or so, but I suppose skinny jeans are the norm where I live.

4. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Senior member

After reading some of these comments, I can add one more reason as to why i'm immensely happy to live in NY

I agree. Being in NYC gives you the chance to look like anything and no one will lift a brow.

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

oddly you can get away with just about anything in Seattle as well, particularly in some parts of town where you can dress like a transvestite matador, homeless Bruce Springsteen, sherpa with white guy dreadlocks, etc. I was at the ballet last night (yes the ballet) and saw all sorts of "creative" looks that you would not see at the same event in other cities. I kind of like it that way.

6. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Senior member

I live in Brisbane, Australia, which is not known for its tolerance (especially as I spend a third of my time in its suburbs), and generally receive positive feedback and nice comments from people, including some who have stopped me to ask where I got certain items. Women seem to love pretty much every item and look that I rock, and wish that their men looked like me, or that I was their man.
    That said, I've gotten the odd chuckle or stare, though that's usually whenever I'm in the working class suburbs. In fact, until this year I would be called a fag or something similar twice a week, more if I stayed in that suburb. It didn't matter what look I was rocking, if it wasn't the baggy board shorts and tee uniform it was probably gay and hate-worthy. Now it's just once a month.
    All this said, it doesn't bother me. It used to when I was 18 and new to style and the adult world in general, but now if anything it makes me chuckle. A person who feels the need to shout "fag" because he sees someone better dressed than him must be a pretty pathetic person, so it doesn't concern me.

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

If people are taking the piss out of your clothes, then your not dressing well

this is the dumbest thing you've ever posted

8. rjones416

rjones416 Member

i've been getting nothing but compliments ever since dressing better. its best to keep it simple, if people are critical of your style you probably look like you're trying to hard.

9. Riio

Riio Senior member

i've been getting nothing but compliments ever since dressing better. its best to keep it simple, if people are critical of your style you probably look like you're trying to hard.

yeah only faggots try hard [​IMG]

10. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

its best to keep it simple, if people are critical of your style you probably look like you're trying to hard.

read as: "i'm incapable/don't have the balls to wear anything creative"

11. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

i get complimented by black youths on a regular basis. it makes me feel validated.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

im critical of people's attitudes and characters, more than anything else.

13. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

The most fashionable and clothing anal of my guy friends happens to be a federal agent and Marine, as well as the most physically intimidating of us. So in our circle, the fellas quickly learned long ago to refrain from faggy comments. One time at a dinner my wife was making fun of how much I shine my shoes which caused some other guys to laugh. The Captain overheard and scolded everyone, "What, you guys don't shine your shoes?!" Everyone shut up after that.

It's the Mrs that gives me most flack about my clothes. Otherwise I get plenty of compliments from other women. Oddly enough, the only thing that bothers me is the gay friends that I do have are all of the Hollister flip flop crowd, and none of them ever compliment my clothes. It hurts just a little.

14. obesitykills

obesitykills Active Member

I am not saying its your fault or something you can change, but if your 6' 2'' and 135lbs it's probably not what your wearing but rather how you carry your self. I see it all the time human beings are breed from early on to shit on anyone or anything that is different.

15. twoism

twoism Member

Close friends and other guys make jokes about me dressing too metrosexual or borderline homosexual somewhat frequently. I understand it as a compliment, however. A way of saying I look good today. I get nothing but good words from strangers and people I don't know as well.

It's kinda funny, actually. A while ago a good female friend of mine was joking about my "raging homosexuality" when I was wearing some nice new clothes, and then a day later I overheard her complaining to her fiancÃ[​IMG]e about how he needs to start dressing more like an adult and wear some "real" clothes. Hah. Her jokes seem a bit weaker now.

And I don't mind the guys saying things like "that's a gay jacket, dude", when strange women approach me on the street later that very day asking where I got it, so they can "purchase one for my man". Or a couple nights later at a barbecue, the cute little brunette girl starts a conversation with me by commenting "oooh, I like this" as she strokes my jacket arm. Gay indeed, friend in the tap out shirt! Gay indeed. Enjoy your beer pong while I leave the party with miss Emily here.

16. z7f9q

z7f9q Senior member

I give my friends shit about plenty of stuff, so I don't mind taking a little over my clothes. That said, it doesn't happen very often.

17. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

beer pong is sick brah

18. jet

jet Senior member

cue chrono beer pong champion

19. dinogj

dinogj Senior member

beer pong is sick brah

yea broski all my A-bro-crobi and fitch bros hate on my tuxebro when we play bro pong

20. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

yea broski all my A-bro-crobi and fitch bros hate on my tuxebro when we play bro pong

Everyone else finished with that meme four months ago, the new thing is photoshopping axolotls into windowsills so it looks like they're just benignly peering in, all, "hey what's up, how about these external gills?"