How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

No one ever gives me shit about my clothes to my face. I get the "what are you doing tonight?" or "why are you so dressed up?" question much more often in my hometown than anywhere.

Oh, and occasionally get called "fag" in bars and stuff too. To that I like to go and pick up on the guy's ugly girlfriend and fuck their girlfriend in front of them repeating "is this what fags do" while staring them in the face....
    edit: that sounds a little homo erotic.

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I've only gotten one negative comment so far, (my nudie SJDBC were girl jeans) by some fat hick. Somehow I've never been called gay living in a midwest town of 2,000, and I dress alot weirder than most people on here. I generally get alot of compliments, especially on my Raf knits and TOJ leather.

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

I also tend to keep shit toned down when i go to school. No crazy sihoulettes or anything.

4. Sancho Panzo Christ

Sancho Panzo Christ Senior member

PK: i think i remember reading that you live in saginaw. without bothering to read through teh entire thread, i'd say that's the problem.

5. bows1

bows1 Senior member

My problem is most of my friends will make fun of me when I get something new and then end up getting something similar within a few months. The worst is when I got a peacoat (a fucking peacoat!!) for my winter coat a few years ago, my friend called me a fag and stuff for weeks and then when we got back from winter break he was sporting one like it was nothing. This has happened numerous other times and its annoying. I don't care if you like what Im wearing and get something like it, but don't laugh at it and call me names and then blatantly take it.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

^that is hilarious!

7. Nil

Nil Senior member

Nothing but positive comments here. However it does end up occasionally going into that awkward territory of "where did you get that?" if I'm pressed passed my usual "from the internet" response and have to drop names like Raf, Margiela, etc. I'm usually met by blank stares at that point.

I haven't received any negative reactions beyond this one strange girl I dated briefly who hated button up shirts. I think I'm large and muscular enough to stop the random bro-types who would yell slurs at strangers from commenting.

8. dunelly

dunelly Senior member

9. Tigris

Tigris Well-Known Member

My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she'll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I'm in her presence. When I point out how the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and that the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, "we'll that's how all the kids are wearing them these days".

Sounds like my dad!

10. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she'll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I'm in her presence. When I point out how the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and that the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, "we'll that's how all the kids are wearing them these days".

Too late for you. She already thinks you're gay.

And...she gives hell to your parents about it.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

^Can we ban this clown already?

All he does is talk head about everything people on this forum are into.

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

13. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

My father:

'Does your wardrobe have bullimia?' (in response to my clothes going from oversized,to fitted)

14. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

I've been shocked that I get complements in school, public, etc. The only time, other than that one kid that called me gay that turned out to be gay once college came along, is SF. But it is a small group of usual people. I belong to many other forums that SF'ers are on and get nothing but complements, never once something negative. And as I said in SC last night, idgaf anymore about the negatives, especially when I follow advice from SF'ers and then another group of SF'ers attacks me. I shop in the same stores many well respected SF'ers do, buy from the same people they do on ebay, even have the same SA's as some; I really don't care anymore what negative things that other regular people have to say. If a professional had something to say I would listen, but I haven't had any issue with that either.

15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I shop in the same stores many well respected SF'ers do, buy from the same people they do on ebay, even have the same SA's as some; I really don't care anymore what negative things that other regular people have to say. If a professional had something to say I would listen, but I haven't had any issue with that either.

Shit, our bad, you look great.