• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one ever gives me **** about my clothes to my face. I get the "what are you doing tonight?" or "why are you so dressed up?" question much more often in my hometown than anywhere.

Oh, and occasionally get called "***" in bars and stuff too. To that I like to go and pick up on the guy's ugly girlfriend and **** their girlfriend in front of them repeating "is this what **** do" while staring them in the face....
edit: that sounds a little **** erotic.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only gotten one negative comment so far, (my nudie SJDBC were girl jeans) by some fat hick. Somehow I've never been called gay living in a midwest town of 2,000, and I dress alot weirder than most people on here. I generally get alot of compliments, especially on my Raf knits and TOJ leather.

Sancho Panzo Christ

Reaction score
PK: i think i remember reading that you live in saginaw. without bothering to read through teh entire thread, i'd say that's the problem.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem is most of my friends will make fun of me when I get something new and then end up getting something similar within a few months. The worst is when I got a peacoat (a ******* peacoat!!) for my winter coat a few years ago, my friend called me a *** and stuff for weeks and then when we got back from winter break he was sporting one like it was nothing. This has happened numerous other times and its annoying. I don't care if you like what Im wearing and get something like it, but don't laugh at it and call me names and then blatantly take it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^that is hilarious!

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing but positive comments here. However it does end up occasionally going into that awkward territory of "where did you get that?" if I'm pressed passed my usual "from the internet" response and have to drop names like Raf, Margiela, etc. I'm usually met by blank stares at that point.

I haven't received any negative reactions beyond this one strange girl I dated briefly who hated button up shirts. I think I'm large and muscular enough to stop the random bro-types who would yell slurs at strangers from commenting.

Tigris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she'll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I'm in her presence. When I point out how the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and that the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, "we'll that's how all the kids are wearing them these days".

Sounds like my dad!

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she'll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I'm in her presence. When I point out how the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and that the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, "we'll that's how all the kids are wearing them these days".

Too late for you. She already thinks you're gay.

And...she gives hell to your parents about it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Can we ban this clown already?

All he does is talk head about everything people on this forum are into.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
My father:

'Does your wardrobe have bullimia?' (in response to my clothes going from oversized,to fitted)

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been shocked that I get complements in school, public, etc. The only time, other than that one kid that called me gay that turned out to be gay once college came along, is SF. But it is a small group of usual people. I belong to many other forums that SF'ers are on and get nothing but complements, never once something negative. And as I said in SC last night, idgaf anymore about the negatives, especially when I follow advice from SF'ers and then another group of SF'ers attacks me. I shop in the same stores many well respected SF'ers do, buy from the same people they do on ebay, even have the same SA's as some; I really don't care anymore what negative things that other regular people have to say. If a professional had something to say I would listen, but I haven't had any issue with that either.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
I shop in the same stores many well respected SF'ers do, buy from the same people they do on ebay, even have the same SA's as some; I really don't care anymore what negative things that other regular people have to say. If a professional had something to say I would listen, but I haven't had any issue with that either.

****, our bad, you look great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads