• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
- "Why the hell are you wearing a suit without a tie?"
I think you will even get that here.
fight[1].gif

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
why would i trash 300 dollar shoes? im not talking like i go home and clean them with a tooth brush and then polish them 8 times but i'm gonna brush dirt off if its there.
ok that's not that bad then, thought you were using shoe cleaner and stuff. I'm probably going to keep my Tricker's clean but eventually they're gonna get dirty just like everything else that's white.
Originally Posted by Ahab
I think you will even get that here.
fight[1].gif

don't think anyone here has a problem with a suit having no tie and if they are they're new

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Everyone says "shiny shoes" about my raf vandals and I'm like astute observation friend.

I've been wearing cardigans for years and used to always elicit the obligatory Mr. Rogers comment but now everyone loves them. Even had my chick jockin it talking about how she loved how I looked in it (black dries).

Absolutely everyone comments on my ervell suede bomber when they see or touch it, they're like is this suede? I've never felt suede this soft. Or your jeans are so rough! My current chick is like when are you going to wear your crazy stuff?? She is very supportive I must say and loves it.

I got my sacai silk/cashmere/wool cardigan out yesterday, finally found a good outfit for it (low buttoning point matched by Lanvin jacket).

I basically get "positive comments" very often and I don't really get negative ones...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Frog Prince
How is having the possibility of stalking Fuuma a downside?
confused.gif

I'm in Montreal right now and next will be in an undisclosed African location (or two). Won't be in Paris before, say, september.

gwydion

Reaction score
I wear pretty boring stuff still but most of the comments from my friends have been positive. It's only my family, specifically brother, who call me things like "***"
laugh.gif

socialdtk

Reaction score
My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she’ll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I’m in her presence. When I point out how the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and that the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, “we’ll that’s how all the kids are wearing them these days”.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she'll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I'm in her presence. When I point how that the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, "we'll that's how all the kids are wearing them these days".

my grandmother thinks i'm beautiful :3

TheDroog

Reaction score
I try to dress appropriately for the occasion, so I don't normally get criticized -- generally people think I'm a sharp dresser. This doesn't mean I'm conservative though. I'm constantly experimenting with colors, fits, textures, etc., but I've got a pretty good barometer on when things are just too wacky, and I'm able to pull back. Historically, I've shown enough versatility in my outfits that nothing surprises the people who know me anymore. I also avoid the more obvious affectations like rolling cuffs and dress shoes without socks because that's not me, and I think that keeps the criticism to a minimum.

I think if you're constantly experimenting with clothes you're bound to draw attention to yourself. The high wire act is getting more compliments than negative criticism, to know what will work effortlessly and what is trying too hard.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
last night, i found out that an orange shirt, jeans, and white purcells = gay.
confused.gif

a bunch of people dress like that at my university because the school colors are bright orange and black (i think they were chosen by someone who was colorblind)
Originally Posted by aeglus
don't think anyone here has a problem with a suit having no tie and if they are they're new
I think i saw a thread on MC a while back where someone asked about suits with no ties, and the general opinion was that you're not allowed or something, some posters actually seemed genuinely angry that people think its okay to wear a suit without a tie. then again, thats MC.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
I get a lot of ignorant criticism when wearing boots. That's mostly because everyone just wears flip flops, and when they see me wearing boots, and not just boots, but leather boots with a zipper going down the side, it becomes the core of a few jokes. I don't care though lol.

My fiancee complains a lot that I'm too dressed up when I go out with her... I just tell her to try harder. One of our discussions last night before going to the bar:
"why are you wearing a button down you look too dressed up! put a t shirt on or something!"
"it's not dressed up, it's a work-style shirt." (chambray)
"work shirt? bullshit, I don't know any work shirt that costs $100."
"it's work-style!"
"whatever you look too good take it off."
"no lol"

shootspeed

Reaction score
i've been getting a lot of compliments from both girls and guys. on rare occasion i've heard the words hipster or emo (which doesn't even make sense) from bros / plebes, but not directly at my face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics