1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by APK, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jaac

jaac Senior member

why would you keep your white sneakers clean

why would i trash 300 dollar shoes? im not talking like i go home and clean them with a tooth brush and then polish them 8 times but i'm gonna brush dirt off if its there.

2. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

^i have too many dirty white sneakers. I do try to keep atleast one pair fresh and clean, my CPs.

3. Schpacko

Schpacko Senior member

I rarely get comments on my clothes. That's not a surprise since i dress very conservatively, which means leather shoes, raw denim and buttondowns. Sometimes sneakers and tshirts, but the dress shoe/buttondown combo is pretty much my uniform. I never wear cardigans or boat shoes with rolled up pants, let alone low crotch or some crazy asymmetrical runway shit. I never do boot tuck or stuff like that. Bright/funky colors or patterns are an absolute no-go. I know all this is standard here, but i just dont like it.
    Yeah, that sounds boring as shit to most people, i know. But to me, clothes are never boring or exciting. An outfit just looks good or bad. So all my effort goes into finding the best possible "components" for my uniform in terms of look, quality and fit.

My goal is to have an understated, classic and time-less style that doesnt draw attention, so i guess its a good thing i dont get lots of comments [​IMG]
    The only compliments i get are from people who are interested in clothes too and take a similar approach to the whole thing. And thats exactly what i want.

4. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

last night, i found out that an orange shirt, jeans, and white purcells = gay.[​IMG]

5. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I never really get any shit at all.

6. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

- "Why the hell are you wearing a suit without a tie?"
    I think you will even get that here. [​IMG]

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Since getting out of high school and moving to an actual city (Montreal), I get almost universally positive comments. Sometimes some guy will shout "fag" at me though.

8. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

why would i trash 300 dollar shoes? im not talking like i go home and clean them with a tooth brush and then polish them 8 times but i'm gonna brush dirt off if its there.
    ok that's not that bad then, thought you were using shoe cleaner and stuff. I'm probably going to keep my Tricker's clean but eventually they're gonna get dirty just like everything else that's white.
    I think you will even get that here. [​IMG]
    don't think anyone here has a problem with a suit having no tie and if they are they're new

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Everyone says "shiny shoes" about my raf vandals and I'm like astute observation friend.

I've been wearing cardigans for years and used to always elicit the obligatory Mr. Rogers comment but now everyone loves them. Even had my chick jockin it talking about how she loved how I looked in it (black dries).

Absolutely everyone comments on my ervell suede bomber when they see or touch it, they're like is this suede? I've never felt suede this soft. Or your jeans are so rough! My current chick is like when are you going to wear your crazy stuff?? She is very supportive I must say and loves it.

I got my sacai silk/cashmere/wool cardigan out yesterday, finally found a good outfit for it (low buttoning point matched by Lanvin jacket).

I basically get "positive comments" very often and I don't really get negative ones...

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

How is having the possibility of stalking Fuuma a downside?[​IMG]

I'm in Montreal right now and next will be in an undisclosed African location (or two). Won't be in Paris before, say, september.

11. gwydion

gwydion Senior member

I wear pretty boring stuff still but most of the comments from my friends have been positive. It's only my family, specifically brother, who call me things like "fag" [​IMG]

12. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I'm in Montreal right now and next will be in an undisclosed African location (or two). Won't be in Paris before, say, september.

yo let's go to h&m together :|

13. socialdtk

socialdtk Senior member

My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she’ll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I’m in her presence. When I point out how the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and that the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, “we’ll that’s how all the kids are wearing them these days”.

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

My grandmother has responded to me wearing fitted clothes by buying me numerous XL polo shirts. Whenever I visit her she'll walk into the closet and emerge with multiple oversized garments and expect me to wear them whenever I'm in her presence. When I point how that the shoulder seams sits just above my elbow and the hem is approaching my knees she responds by saying, "we'll that's how all the kids are wearing them these days".

my grandmother thinks i'm beautiful :3

15. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

I try to dress appropriately for the occasion, so I don't normally get criticized -- generally people think I'm a sharp dresser. This doesn't mean I'm conservative though. I'm constantly experimenting with colors, fits, textures, etc., but I've got a pretty good barometer on when things are just too wacky, and I'm able to pull back. Historically, I've shown enough versatility in my outfits that nothing surprises the people who know me anymore. I also avoid the more obvious affectations like rolling cuffs and dress shoes without socks because that's not me, and I think that keeps the criticism to a minimum.

I think if you're constantly experimenting with clothes you're bound to draw attention to yourself. The high wire act is getting more compliments than negative criticism, to know what will work effortlessly and what is trying too hard.

16. max_r

max_r Senior member

last night, i found out that an orange shirt, jeans, and white purcells = gay.[​IMG]
    a bunch of people dress like that at my university because the school colors are bright orange and black (i think they were chosen by someone who was colorblind)
    don't think anyone here has a problem with a suit having no tie and if they are they're new
    I think i saw a thread on MC a while back where someone asked about suits with no ties, and the general opinion was that you're not allowed or something, some posters actually seemed genuinely angry that people think its okay to wear a suit without a tie. then again, thats MC.

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

i've never ever worn a tie (0)

18. CrazyJew

CrazyJew Senior member

I get a lot of ignorant criticism when wearing boots. That's mostly because everyone just wears flip flops, and when they see me wearing boots, and not just boots, but leather boots with a zipper going down the side, it becomes the core of a few jokes. I don't care though lol.

My fiancee complains a lot that I'm too dressed up when I go out with her... I just tell her to try harder. One of our discussions last night before going to the bar:
    "why are you wearing a button down you look too dressed up! put a t shirt on or something!"
    "it's not dressed up, it's a work-style shirt." (chambray)
    "work shirt? bullshit, I don't know any work shirt that costs $100."
    "it's work-style!"
    "whatever you look too good take it off."
    "no lol"

19. sebastianm

sebastianm Well-Known Member

I get the fag comment everytime i wear boat shoes and slim chinos by one my best friends. Not that i really care anymore.

20. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

i've been getting a lot of compliments from both girls and guys. on rare occasion i've heard the words hipster or emo (which doesn't even make sense) from bros / plebes, but not directly at my face.