• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How crappy are Land's End ties ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I checked the Land's End tie section following a PSA about their made in Italy knit ties. Of the 6 ties I intend to get this year, I found 4 there and that too for less than 40 USD each. I am seriously considering getting them.

I dont expect to them to be top of the line or anything like that but can someone who has used their 'imported' ties please share their thoughts about their quality.

How they describe their ties, marketing speak, I know

A Lands' EndÂ
00ae.png
tie brings you meticulously crafted details. Things you might think available only in neckwear with far higher prices "” like a self-fabric keeper instead of cheaper cloth, bartacking at both ends and a full lining. And while many competitors have gone virtually automated, many of our production steps are still done entirely by hand, just 15 ties an hour.

We think the patience and precision of fine craftsmanship pays off for you, in a long-lasting tie that keeps its shape for a smooth, twist-free look every time. 3 1/2" wide. 100% silk. Hand sewn. Dry clean. Imported.
Immaterial to the question at hand, but here are the stock pics of the ties

inx61Q.jpg
in1MHQ.jpg
inx4tI.jpg
in1K9I.jpg

Thanks and best regards

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The statement about "just 15 ties an hour" is vague and possibly misleading. It could mean anything from 15 people's making 1 tie each per hour (unlikely), to one person's making a tie every 4 minutes. If it's the latter, that's a far cry from the imagery of careful hand craftsmanship the statement is trying to convey.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Landsend ties are well regarded. Any I have bought have been good. The are not Canali but at that price.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the patterns were nice, but the silk ties were flimsy and nearly unwearable. Thin as paper. No experience with the knit ties, though.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I have one of their knit ties (French Navy) and like it a lot. The open knit in grano di riso makes a nice solid pattern, I like the crunchy hand, and the knot is robust in that unusual knit-tie way. Be aware that the French Navy is truly dark: it's several shades darker than my midnight blue grenadine from Sam Hober. The only way to tell it's not a deep black is to put it against pink or gray.

The consensus seems to be that LE knits are good quality, and a great deal at overstock prices:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=58

My Paul Stuart knit is more elegant looking, but retails for $20 more than the LEs.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I own the navy dot tie and I am perfectly happy with it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like their knits as well as any.

Only have one non-knit from them. It's serviceable, if a little lifeless.

Retail prices are high for what you get, especially considering where they're made. I've found nicer ties at Marshalls for less. But that requires searching through a lot of horrible ties for a gem. LE, on the other hand, is good about stocking classic patterns.

Before I'd pay LE retail, I'd buy from Brooks on sale. But at deep discount, I'd consider buying from LE if something caught my fancy.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like their knits as well as any.

Only have one non-knit from them. It's serviceable, if a little lifeless.

Retail prices are high for what you get, especially considering where they're made. I've found nicer ties at Marshalls for less. But that requires searching through a lot of horrible ties for a gem. LE, on the other hand, is good about stocking classic patterns.

Before I'd pay LE retail, I'd buy from Brooks on sale. But at deep discount, I'd consider buying from LE if something caught my fancy.

30% off a single full price item: Code BLOOM, PIN 3098 Expires 11:59 pm CST tomorrow.

JakeLA

Reaction score
marginally better than the Tie Bar

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
30% off a single full price item: Code BLOOM, PIN 3098 Expires 11:59 pm CST tomorrow.

Which you should use to buy one of their terrific Madras shirts.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii
I have one of their knit ties (French Navy) and like it a lot. The open knit in grano di riso makes a nice solid pattern, I like the crunchy hand, and the knot is robust in that unusual knit-tie way. Be aware that the French Navy is truly dark: it's several shades darker than my midnight blue grenadine from Sam Hober. The only way to tell it's not a deep black is to put it against pink or gray.

The consensus seems to be that LE knits are good quality, and a great deal at overstock prices:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=58

My Paul Stuart knit is more elegant looking, but retails for $20 more than the LEs.

I have several of their knit ties and find them to consistently be better than any other brand of knit tie I've purchased, including BB. I've never owned a Charvet knit, but those that I have examined didn't seem to be as nice as the LE knits I have. I'm a big fan.

I can't say anything about their regular ties, however.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a couple of wool ties from LE that seemed pretty decent--certainly very fair value for money, as LE goods usually are.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cotton tie and 3 knits from them, not crappy at all

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. I think I will give it a shot. The problem is not only of the cost, but also of the availability of the particular designs. I have not come across any online store which has these designs (though they are pretty standard) except Drakes, which frankly, after my last experience with them I do not wish to use again.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One nice thing about Lands End, apart from the classic designs, is the fact that they offer long sizes for pretty much all of their ties. It's becoming more common now, but I like that you don't have to spend high-end prices to get it.

But, no-- I have no idea how well made they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads