• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How could a pair loafer retail for $1400?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've got me. Maybe if the shoe were hand-welted and had extensive hand stitching on the upper, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, but there's nothing out of the ordinary about that shoe.

Pink22m

Reaction score
In the October 2003 issue of Robb Report, there was an article on reversible clothing. They showed a $6,000 pair of reversible crocodile loafers from Silvano Lattanzi. Perhaps you could justify paying this price by saying you are really getting 2 pairs of loafers for your $6,000
biggrin.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They showed a $6,000 pair of reversible crocodile loafers from Silvano Lattanzi.
The mind boggles. How can a pair of shoes be reversible and turned inside out like an overcoat? A pair of rubber galoshes, maybe, but street shoes?

Anyone got a picture to post here? Just curious.

thc

Reaction score
You've got me. Maybe if the shoe were hand-welted and had extensive hand stitching on the upper, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, but there's nothing out of the ordinary about that shoe.
I'm a big fan of A. Testoni, but I have to admit, I was surprised to see a price that high. Maybe the buckles are 24K gold? Never seen that before, but just thinking out loud...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
They're actually monk straps, and perhaps they've overstated the retail a bit to make the discount seem higher. Testoni does have some hand made shoes that retail in that range....
The ones with more machine work sell for $500-1,000.

FCS

Reaction score
Steve, I think those are loafers with faux monk straps.

About Testoni's quality, I remember A. Harris mentioned that C&J actually make better shoes. How does C&J handgrade compare to Testoni's highest tier of quality? And how would it compare with Edward Green, which oxxfords cost about 40% lower than that $1400 price?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lattanzi's at BG were retailing at 1800, I think they're on sale for "only" 1200 now....

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are made out of leather I don't get it... for crocodile I might see it - after I wrestle a croc for his hide I'd charge a fortune... must have been one mean cow to have $1400 hide.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FCS:
How does C&J handgrade compare to Testoni's highest tier of quality? And how would it compare with Edward Green, which oxxfords cost about 40% lower than that $1400 price?

Comparing C&J to Testoni's norwegians is like comparing apples to oranges (to me at least) because one shoe is much more casual due to the stitchings. But quality wise, I believe that Testonis are better finished. But when comparing the finishing and polishing to EGs, EGs are better. You pay a premium for the name and the additional work on the stitchings.

naturlaut

Reaction score
The Lattanzi's at BG were retailing at 1800, I think they're on sale for "only" 1200 now....
I think the originally price on the penny-loafer was $2,600....

By the way, does Testoni offer custom? I think the black-labelled Testoni goes for about US$700+.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads