1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How costly an excercise is antiquing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by benecios, May 22, 2006.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Are those old C&J?
    Absolutely no idea - they're appropriated from my father, probably from the sixties. They were an even chestnut colour before I started. (I thought htey would make for a good exercise in antiquing.)

2. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

The owner of the shop that distributes EGs in Madrid told me that saliva is one of it´s trade secrets. When he visited their factory, he spotted workers spitting on the shoes and rubbing. I don´t see how this additional (presumably mild) acid could be so effective.

I've noticed taht real spit shining produces better results than using plain water. Perhaps it's the enzymes?

3. well-kept

well-kept Well-Known Member

Absolutely no idea - they're appropriated from my father, probably from the sixties. They were an even chestnut colour before I started. (I thought htey would make for a good exercise in antiquing.)

If any info is legible inside I might be able to help you identify them, if you'd like.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

If any info is legible inside I might be able to help you identify them, if you'd like.
    Thanks - I checked now, but there's absolutely no legible markings on them. They seem English in type and construction, though.

5. lhooq

lhooq Well-Known Member

This will no doubt sound like a stupid question, and I thank you in advance for humoring me, but:

If I have a pair of lighter brown shoes that are antiqued with a darker brown on the toe cap, will polishing the entire shoe with a light brown cream take away the dark brown antiquing?

6. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Not really. You'd have to get into trying to strip away the darker brown, or else darken the whole shoe.