1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How costly an excercise is antiquing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by benecios, May 22, 2006.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

the thing about bleach, i dont know how manton or others did it, but bleach seems to get rid of the black , but then deteriorates the leather to the point i cannot reapply polish to it. it the bleach leaves a very nubucky feel to the once smooth leather.
    luckily for me i tried it only on a hidden portion of a black shoe i m not too fond of.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

those look like berlutis to me!

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I generally dislike antiquing as I find that it is rarely very well done if you are not spending 2k and up for a pair of shoes. I prefer EGs without as I am uninspired at bes by the antiquing that they do. Less expensive Italian brands always overdo it and look ridiculous. Anyway, here is what I would consider a great antiquing job, and it also happens to be a black shoe. I am thinking of ordering one just like it. [​IMG]

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Au contraire, strip them back with acetone, polish again with black polish, and you will have antique blue shoes! Make sure to use a black polish with a blue tint rather than a brown tint though.

7. j

j Senior member Admin

Au contraire, strip them back with acetone, polish again with black polish, and you will have antique blue shoes! Make sure to use a black polish with a blue tint rather than a brown tint though.
    Andrew, have you ever stripped black away and found anything underneath using acetone? The ones I've tried don't give way to anything but more and more black. If so, what kind of leather was it?

8. toniok

toniok Well-Known Member

@ianmatt: these shoes look amazing, who made them

9. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I generally dislike antiquing as I find that it is rarely very well done if you are not spending 2k and up for a pair of shoes. I prefer EGs without as I am uninspired at bes by the antiquing that they do. Less expensive Italian brands always overdo it and look ridiculous. Anyway, here is what I would consider a great antiquing job, and it also happens to be a black shoe. I am thinking of ordering one just like it. [​IMG]
    I've had my eye on that pair (by Dimitri Gomez) for a while now, too. They are the most beautiful black shoes I've ever seen.

10. A Harris

Yep, the pair I did faded to a medium blue color with a purple tint. It must be a difference in the leather, I'm not sure exactly what the difference is though!

11. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

so if i wanted to antique in a simular style as to the lobb museum calf how would i go about doing that?

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Here's the antiquing I dd on my Schuberts from a while back:

[​IMG]

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those Schuberts look a lot better. How have they held up?

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Those Schuberts look a lot better. How have they held up?

I dunno, I've only worn them like twice. They don't fit that well and they smell kind of funnyl. They were basically a very expensive learning experience.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry to hear they haven't worked out. Speaking of smelling funny, I was browsing ties at TJ Maxx the other day and was almost overcome by noxious fumes.

16. A Harris

That blotched effect would be more difficult than regular antiquing. Stripping the shoes and then blotting on leather dye with a sponge might work.

17. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

That blotched effect would be more difficult than regular antiquing. Stripping the shoes and then blotting on leather dye with a sponge might work.

what about blotching cream on wet lether?

18. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

The owner of the shop that distributes EGs in Madrid told me that saliva is one of it´s trade secrets. When he visited their factory, he spotted workers spitting on the shoes and rubbing. I don´t see how this additional (presumably mild) acid could be so effective.

19. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

The owner of the shop that distributes EGs in Madrid told me that saliva is one of it´s trade secrets. When he visited their factory, he spotted workers spitting on the shoes and rubbing. I don´t see how this additional (presumably mild) acid could be so effective.
    Might be the enzymes in saliva. Here's an effort of my own, not exactly satisfied with it - they came out quite splotchy: [​IMG]

20. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Might be the enzymes in saliva.

Here's an effort of my own, not exactly satisfied with it - they came out quite splotchy:

[​IMG]

Are those old C&J?