1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How comfy is a two eyelet shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by keithdownunder, May 29, 2013.

1. keithdownunder

keithdownunder New Member

Hi!!
    Im thinking of a Cheaney two eyelet Gibson shoe and just wondered how the "fit" compares with a more traditional 4 or 5 eyelet shoe. Is the shoe any looser as there is less lace to tighten them?
    Thank you !!!

2. havingaraveup

havingaraveup Senior member

I think it would depend on how high the eyelets are and the last. On a Clark's desert boot, the laces are 26 inches as opposed to the standard 30 or so. So yes, technically there is less lace but less is necessary. The shape of the shoe is blobby (not that I mind—I like them) and so they will be loose. Look at the Corthay Arca, however, and the eyelets are rather high up on the vamp, so the actual uppers are shaped based on the last. I can't ever imagine an Arca fitting loose, but I've never tried one on. So I think the answer is that really a derby is going to be easier to get in and out of than an oxford, so the number of eyelets might be immaterial?