• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can you tell popped collars are fading?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When mannequins at Brooks Brothers are starting to sport popped collars on their polos...

They even had one mannequin with three layered polos with some of them popped heh

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I knew they were fading back in the fall of 2004 when I came back to school from the summer and saw every schmuck sporting popped lacoste/abercrombie/american eagle polos in pink or some other pastel color with this look of "yeah look at me I got my collar popper just like that guy across the room and I feel so damn awesome" on their face. Thats when I began to wean (sp) myself off the look. Though, I admit I did feel a shade cooler with my collar popped, a pair of shades and a smile on my face.

Too bad

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The only reason anyone should pop their collar is to keep out the wind. End of story.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like all the mannequins are displaying popped collars for jackets (fall/winter). Anyone have plans to start popping the collar for their jackets?

lifersfc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
The only reason anyone should pop their collar is to keep out the wind. End of story.

NO...the only reason anyone should pop their collar is to protect the back of their neck from excess sun on the golf course. That is it.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think of life as just one big golf game.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Clearly Brooks is not following the age guidelines in the Official Preppy Handbook. I imagine most of Brooks' customers have reached the last phase of preppy collar wear, "finally at rest."

Must be a sad day when a popped-collar wearer decides/realizes they are too old for the popped collar.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren at one point was making polo shirts with very narrow collars, which really had to be popped otherwise there would be no shape at all.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
NO...the only reason anyone should pop their collar is to protect the back of their neck from excess sun on the golf course. That is it.

You saying the average shmuck also shouldn't be wearing chronograph watches? There are alot of things out there that are meant to be used by professionals but are marketed to the masses. Using your logic people shouldn't use these devices (watches come to mind best) unless they plan to make good use of all the dials and mechanisms in them.

And that's not why popped collars are lame now, its lame because instead of remaining as an eccentricity it (briefly) became the thing the cool kids did, then every other kid wanted to do it and ruined it. Anyway I dont believe in collars being perfectly popped or in their regular position. If over the course of the day it gets in a weird half popped, half set position so be it, until the person chooses to fix it. But this violent backlash against popped collars is really surprising for people who believe in not following strict fashion rules.

creat3cp

Reaction score
nobody talk about this nowsaday....less demand less popular i guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads