• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can you tell if a suit jacket sleeves can be let out?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Put the jacket on.
2. Look in the mirror. Remember what that looks like.
3. Go to the Black Fleece section of the BB website.
4. Look at the suits and sport coats.
5. If yours fits like that, the sleeves need to be let out. But you probably don't have enough material.

Seriously, put on a properly fitting long sleeve shirt. Put on your jacket. You should show a fraction of an inch of shirt cuff.

lilmann40

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
1. Put the jacket on.
2. Look in the mirror. Remember what that looks like.
3. Go to the Black Fleece section of the BB website.
4. Look at the suits and sport coats.
5. If yours fits like that, the sleeves need to be let out. But you probably don't have enough material.

Seriously, put on a properly fitting long sleeve shirt. Put on your jacket. You should show a fraction of an inch of shirt cuff.

Oh, I'm sorry...I meant how can you tell if any material CAN be let out? The question isn't regarding my fit of the jacket, just how you can tell if there is material available to be let out for the sleeve to extend it.

tgt465

Reaction score
Not a tailor, but as far as I know: When the sleeves are let out the material normally comes from inside the sleeve cuff. If you look, there should be some suiting material there before the lining begins. This is the length that the sleeve can be let out from the cuff (minus a bit for the hem). You may also happen to have extra material in the shoulder so that the sleeve can be lengthened from there, but this is not guaranteed and requires much more difficult work.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That is correct, but I might add that you can carefully feel the thickness of the turned under suit material that is hidden by the lining to determine just how much is available. It varies.

I got so excited with my attempt at humor that I misinterpreted the original question.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RTW (and factory MTM) garments generally have 2" to 2 1/4" in the cuff so you can lengthen up to about 1 1/2"- usually around 1" of cloth is concealed by the lining so you can't know exactly how much is there without opening the lining. The only case in which there would be no outlet is if it had been previously altered.

Oh, and you can't lengthen from the shoulder.

krspdla

Reaction score
If it's a used jacket, there can be some wear on the edge of the sleeve, so watch out for that too.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have experience with TaT suits? I purchased a suit on here, everything fits well, but received the wrong sleeve measurements. So they will need to be lengthened from the shoulders (surgeon cuffs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads