• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How can you tell if a suit is recent?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crashoran
I found some decent Zegna suits today, but I'm not sure if they are considered 'recent' or not.

Where did you find these suits? I assume in a secondhand store?

These are some of the features to look for if they are relatively recent (by the way, how would you define recent, though?):

- notch on lapels are placeD higher, closer/nearer to the top of the shoulder line

- handkerchief breast pocket is also placed higher

- button stance on front of jacket is a bit higher (around mid torso)

- jacket shoulders should be relatively narrow--they should NOT sag off your shoulders and make you look like a football player wearing extra shoulder pads

- jacket's fit around the waist should be suppressed or pinched in

- jacket should have side vents or center vent in the back

- pants should be flat-front, not pleated

- pants should have a lower rise (a short fit in the crotch)

- pants should fit a bit lower on the waist

- general silhouette of pants should be trim, not full around the thighs and the bottom leg width should not be full, as well

Please feel free to add to this list, folks. Thanks.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Carbon 14?

Damn, I was going to say that.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself

These are some of the fetures to look for if they are relatively recent (by the way, how would you define recent, though?):

- notch on lapels are place higher, closer/nearer to the top of the shoulder line

- jacket shoulders should be relatively narrow--they should sag off your shoulders and make you look like a football player wearing extra shoulder pads

- general silhouette of pants should be trim, not full around the thighs and the bottom leg width should not be full, as well

crashoran

Reaction score
One more question, I found an Armani suit that looks brand new, pockets still closed, additional buttons in breast pocket, but no size tag with information on either the pants nor jacket. It doesn't look like the tags were cut out. Have you ever encountered this?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be made to measure that a customer didn't pick up. Are you getting this stuff from Neiman Marcus?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could have fallen off the back of a truck.

For the first question check the label thread.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are some of the features to look for if they are relatively recent (by the way, how would you define recent, though?):

- notch on lapels are placeD higher, closer/nearer to the top of the shoulder line

- jacket shoulders should be relatively narrow--they should NOT sag off your shoulders and make you look like a football player wearing extra shoulder pads

Does an unvented suit mean it's "older"?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Does an unvented suit mean it's "older"?

No, not necessarily, I suppose.

Generally speaking, the last time closed vented jackets were in style was from approximately 1987 to approximately early 2000ish.

All I can tell you is that if you're looking for suits in a thrift store and you find suits with no vents, then you can be pretty sure those are older, outdated suits from around that era (see above dates). There are certain exceptions, of course, such as Armani who is famous for nonvented jackets, but, still, you couldn't pay me enough money to wear nonvented jackets ever again. EVER.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not necessarily, I suppose.

Generally speaking, the last time closed vented jackets were in style was from approximately 1987 to approximately early 2000ish.

All I can tell you is that if you're looking for suits in a thrift store and you find suits with no vents, then you can be pretty sure those are older, outdated suits from around that era (see above dates). There are certain exceptions, of course, such as Armani who is famous for nonvented jackets, but, still, you couldn't pay me enough money to wear nonvented jackets ever again. EVER.

What is it about nonvented that you despise? Aren't nonvented more for casual looks. Ie using one as a blazer. I read it's possible and foolish to turn a nonvented initial a vented via tailoring.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
What is it about nonvented that you despise? Aren't nonvented more for casual looks. Ie using one as a blazer. I read it's possible and foolish to turn a nonvented initial a vented via tailoring.

Vent-less jackets are more formal and more old-fashioned, and they are least appropriate on sports coats and blazers. Vents are sporting in origin. Ventless coats cannot be converted to vented.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.