• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can you jazz up a Savile row classic city suit?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
I like arrogance when you can back it up (with anything!, knoweldge or taste or looks)...that's a good looking one -b suit, a bit extravagant, hope they didn't charge too much for the trousers.
wink.gif
White shirt and some strange pocket square hmmm...what do you think...maybe pink with tiny bright blue azurre dots would have been cool...

The shirt is a butcher stripe in bright blue, with the blue and white in herringbone in reverse bias to the other. The tie is a bespoke lined six-fold grenadine in burgundy. The square is a bespoke square done in a Riva etamine, a kind of open mesh cotton.

The trousers are breaking a bit stronger than they otherwise would only because I did not adjust the braces just so...being too busy to be a complete aesthete. This can happen when you have braced trousers with both high and straight backs, and you switch the supsenders from one to the other.

Another shot for your Mittel Europa enjoyment:

649446300_Wrg4w-O.jpg

The shoes? Hungarian.

- B

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus. You are a dull fellow......

Originally Posted by lasbar
During my last visit to the row , I was discussing with Mr Murphy my nextproject when I did come to the conclusion that my suits are looking the same.

They're all single breasted , notch lapels with 1 ,2 or 2 roll 3 buttons and all navy /midnight blue or charcoal.
All worsted between 11 to 14 ounces and most of them solid or with a thin pinstripes.

We decided to jazz up the next one. The fabric is solid worsted which is already a tiny departure from my normal addiction.

He wants to have a peak lapel sb with hacking pockets..What are your opinions on that jazzing up attempt?
I'm open to the peak lapel bit but not to the hacking pocket.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
A customer came in with uber British hacking pockets and it did look strange, a bit unnatural.
Mine will be a la Richard James , just slighty angled.

The peak lapel idea is more interesting with classic pockets and ticket pocket.

By the way , the fabric is worsted flannel.

Why not go to Richard James? Speak to Olok or Dickie directly they are the only ones that sort of knows what they are doing.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The trousers are breaking a bit stronger than they otherwise would only because I did not adjust the braces just so...being too busy to be a complete aesthete. This can happen when you have braced trousers with both high and straight backs, and you switch the supsenders from one to the other.

We were all going to say something, but chalked it up to sprezz.
worship.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts/suggestions. Of course, YMMV: 1. contrast melton undercollar 2. interesting lining/sleeve lining 3. interesting pocket flap underlining 4. jetted ticket pocket with flap hip pockets 5. brighter-coloured buttons e.g. light brown with mid-gray instead of black 6. patch/crescent pockets 7. space your sleeve buttons A&S style - i.e. oo oo instead of oooo 8. contrast stitching on all or one buttonhole - many go for one of the sleeve ones here 9. a pinstripe (not chalkstripe) in a bolder colour; I've seen dark purple work well with charcoal 10. contrast piping along the inside of the front panels 11. grosgrain trim at the surgeons cuff along where the buttons are, or along the inside of your vents

LeonM

Reaction score
Get turn back cuffs (on the sleeves).

Leon

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Steed (Edwin DeBoise) bespoke single breasted, peaked lapel, single button suit with hacking pockets in Porter & Harding Glorious 12th:

649446262_vRc93-X2.jpg

- B

Do I see a crease in the arm, as in pressed flat a la Prince Charles?

@lasbar: I'd also say DB; if not that, what about a different colour? Like a light gray?
I wish I could find the pic of the japanese gentleman with the longer hair, a light gray (flannel?) db, holding a camelhair coat.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Another vote for 1B peak lapel. My first, and still favourite, bespoke suit was a 1B PL in a fine herringbone worsted, with slanted pockets. Still completely suitable for a conservative business environment, but definitely out of the ordinary. Have come to the conclusion that most of my future SB will be peak lapel. Just works better for me

Or you could go DB - am getting Steed to make me a charcoal flannel 6x4 DB which I am really excited to see how it pans out

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found the pic:
1179GreyDBWeb.jpg
But I think what you really have to ask yourself is: do I really want something "un-boring"? Would you really feel comfortable in a suit that draws more attention, would it be you? From what I've gathered from your comments so far, I wouldn't say so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads