• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can the cut of one denim be BETTER than other for EVERYONE? [Noob question]

thejesterking

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum, I'm new here (this being my first post). Before I ask the question proper, I'd like to apologize if this has been answered in some way, but I really have tried to use the search function as much as possible. I'd much rather read through a thread than make my own, because I'm a lurker at heart. However, trying to find threads involving the "fit" of jeans is problematic because "fit" doesn't come up with anything (my guess being it's too short a phrase.) If anyone knows of a thread that's addressed this, I would be very grateful and would readily delete/request that the mods delete this thread so it doesn't take up unnecessary space.

Now, onto the question proper. As far as I know, the jeans popular on this forum are said to be popular for (mainly) two reasons. The quality of the denim, and the cut of the denim. The quality I can understand. However, it doesn't seem logical to me for the cut of the jeans of brand X to make them better than all the jeans made by other, not-so-style-forum-approved brands. Isn't the fit of the jean dependent on how closely the cut matches the body shape of the person wearing it?

That being said, how SHOULD the jeans fit you? Should the cut 'mirror' your body measurements such that they have the same amount (however slight) of excess fabric throughout?

Thanks again for helping a newcomer out.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got to consider that the people on this forum aren't 'everyone.' Its a group of slimish people who, for the most part, are after a similar aesthetic.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One cut can't be better for everyone, but there are cuts that generally look good on most people. There are also cuts that are unique for whatever reason and provide a specific look that people desire (to give an example off the top of my head, ass darts on Diors.)

Then there are cuts that look crappy on almost everyone, and those are the ones that are to be avoided.

BTW, if you're trying to search for a phrase that's too short for the SF search, try the google search that was just added.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thejesterking
That being said, how SHOULD the jeans fit you?

The first thing you gotta learn is that this is the wrong question to be asking.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some cuts are better for everyone because some jeans are cut ridiculous. Like huge thighs but a tight waist, I have a pair of lucky brand that are like that (purchased LONG before I came to this forum) and the cut is just stupid. Some people I guess, might like it, but they would pretty much hate this forum if they did.

On this forum, a straight cut is going to be better than nearly any bootcut by general consensus.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
...On this forum, a straight cut is going to be better than nearly any bootcut by general consensus.

I don't know if I would go that far.... Straight cut is the current favorite but that's only because tapered isn't as popular as it was a few years ago - still, popular.

bootcuts look good on short and/or chunky people, not on tall and/or thin people. There are people here who will rave about 5EP's "Lowdown Bootcut" because the flare isn't as drastic as say, Diesel's bootcuts.

I'd say that almost as important as picking the right cut, is picking the right length of inseam.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I'd say that almost as important as picking the right cut, is picking the right length of inseam.

qft

thejesterking

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't realise this'd go there. I assumed from the "I have a jean" opening title that it was just for questions about jeans you'd bought and what to do relating to shrinkage stretching etc. Will ask there in future.

In response to PG2G:
What I meant by 'better for everyone' was better by SF standards for any person. Basically I was wondering how X cut of jeans could fulfil the SF criteria of a good fit better than another cut for everyone when everybody's shape is different. But the other replies have explained it, so I think I've got it now. Thanks.

Okay, so to summarize what I've understood:

It's not so much that the cuts popular here are perfect, but that they are just far more logical than the ones not so popular here in that they tend to flatter most people more, and so these brands are recommend to and by SF readers.

Thanks all for the help, and in particular to DCG for the googlesearch tip. Will use in future.

About BrettChaotix's advice regarding inseam length, as that referring to understanding when to cuff/hem/stack as is appropriate to your body type? Also, Bona Drag, I don't really understand why that's the wrong question. I really don't know what entails a good fit and what doesn't. Someone care to explain?

thejesterking

Reaction score
Oh **** sorry for the double-post, I thought the 'quick reply' button would post like a sub-post for the post I clicked it on. Combined what I was going to type here with the one above.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
One cut can't be better for everyone, but there are cuts that generally look good on most people. There are also cuts that are unique for whatever reason and provide a specific look that people desire (to give an example off the top of my head, ass darts on Diors.)

Then there are cuts that look crappy on almost everyone, and those are the ones that are to be avoided.

BTW, if you're trying to search for a phrase that's too short for the SF search, try the google search that was just added.

the google search was always there... now it is just in two places

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thejesterking
Sorry, didn't realise this'd go there. I assumed from the "I have a jean" opening title that it was just for questions about jeans you'd bought and what to do relating to shrinkage stretching etc. Will ask there in future.

In response to PG2G:
What I meant by 'better for everyone' was better by SF standards for any person. Basically I was wondering how X cut of jeans could fulfil the SF criteria of a good fit better than another cut for everyone when everybody's shape is different. But the other replies have explained it, so I think I've got it now. Thanks.

Okay, so to summarize what I've understood:

It's not so much that the cuts popular here are perfect, but that they are just far more logical than the ones not so popular here in that they tend to flatter most people more, and so these brands are recommend to and by SF readers.

Thanks all for the help, and in particular to DCG for the googlesearch tip. Will use in future.

About BrettChaotix's advice regarding inseam length, as that referring to understanding when to cuff/hem/stack as is appropriate to your body type? Also, Bona Drag, I don't really understand why that's the wrong question. I really don't know what entails a good fit and what doesn't. Someone care to explain?

Bona Drag was highlighting the subjectiveness of fashion and fit, there is no ideal or quintessential be all end all fit or cut of jean. Your question of "how should jeans fit" was a 'wrong' question to ask because of this.

It seems you are trying to take a scientific approach towards fashion, while this is OK, try to remember that it is extremely subjective and it is very hard to understand every aspect well enough to theoretically make up a great outfit, as there is so much to consider. I'd suggest trying to get an understanding of the different styles and themes people go for before looking at the finer details of colour, fit, cut, detail, etc. Then you'll probably get an answer to your question of how one cut of jean can be better than another. Good luck
smile.gif

centrix

Reaction score
in all honesty it comes down to what you like, instead of what others think, don't buy jeans just because its a popular style or brand because brands like true religion are actually quite popular, but are also INCREDIBLY fugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads