• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can people wear suits in tropical climates?

Interface

Reaction score
Greetings.

How can politicians wear suits in tropical climate? Why do they do that? How can they tolerate it in such a heat? Take for example Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I have never seen the man not in a suit. He sure looks good. But how does he do it?

By wearing suits all the time, will one eventually just get used to it?

Regards,
Interface.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever see a pic of a Yankees game in the Thirties? 30,000 people in 90 degree heat wearing 3 piece suits? (Yeah I know- not everybody).

I do think that you do adjust to it... our modern level of assumed comfort is different these days.
And some people just tolerate it. I can't wear a sweater under a suit coat, ever. Even in -20 weather in Minnesota... I just melt. On the other hand, a local haberdasher I know loves wearing HEAVY three-piece tweeds in the dead of summer...
tinfoil.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a cotton one. Ive work a suit in 90 defree heat and its not too bad. In the UK its not too cold yet and I wear a tweed and with a sweater.

Mauby

Reaction score
Think cool thoughts.

Over time, you get used to it. Here in Chicago, the first 30 degree day in November, I'm bundled up layer upon layer, hat, gloves, long-johns. That same 30 degree day in February, I'm wearing a light cashmere sweater and shorts while I walk to get a newspaper.

Keep in mind that these people have grown up in the tropics, so it's normal for them.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Wear a cotton one. Ive work a suit in 90 defree heat and its not too bad. In the UK its not too cold yet and I wear a tweed and with a sweater.

Heh- I can barely stand wearing a tshirt under my dress-shirt with a suit coat.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Take for example Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I have never seen the man not in a suit. He sure looks good. But how does he do it?

It's all about body temperature. When you have a cold reptilian heart, wearing layers of dark wool in sub-saharan climes is pretty easy.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
It's all about body temperature. When you have a cold reptilian heart, wearing layers of dark wool in sub-saharan climes is pretty easy.

well said!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo

+1

I'm a normally very "warm blooded" person. Unless it is below 0 C I tend to just wear my shirt and then a top coat; maybe a scarf as if it's particularly windy. I simply get too warm while walking if I'm wearing more.

Sweating while wearing layers is not fun...
frown.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't a lot of it a function of the suiting fabric? Not long ago on a warm evening, my wife and I were entertaining a couple of her friends. Naturally, I was wearing a jacket. My wife said, "Aren't you dying of the heat in that jacket?" "Not at all I replied," and indeed I was perfectly comfortable wearing a lightweight open-weave Scabal fabric tailored, of course, by my friends in Kowloon.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Greetings.

How can politicians wear suits in tropical climate? Why do they do that? How can they tolerate it in such a heat? Take for example Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I have never seen the man not in a suit. He sure looks good. But how does he do it?

By wearing suits all the time, will one eventually just get used to it?

Regards,
Interface.

and don't you wonder why all those middle easterners covering up their whole body all the time?

you get used to it...

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
Yes we wear them in tropical climates. Mine are made out of a tropical weight of material. We just avoid heavy weight things. I am more apt to be found in shirt, tie and trousers. I am in Guam. Robert

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're important enough to be wearing a suit 24/7 in a sub-tropical climate, you're usually important enough to spend most of your time in an AC'd building or car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads