1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 12 : Löf and Tung MTO shoes from Skoaktiebolaget

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 12th auction of the year is for a pair of Löf and Tung MTO (made-to-order) shoes from Skoaktiebolaget. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

How can people wear suits in tropical climates?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Interface, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Interface

Interface Well-Known Member

Greetings.

How can politicians wear suits in tropical climate? Why do they do that? How can they tolerate it in such a heat? Take for example Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I have never seen the man not in a suit. He sure looks good. But how does he do it?

By wearing suits all the time, will one eventually just get used to it?

Regards,
    Interface.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Ever see a pic of a Yankees game in the Thirties? 30,000 people in 90 degree heat wearing 3 piece suits? (Yeah I know- not everybody).

I do think that you do adjust to it... our modern level of assumed comfort is different these days.
    And some people just tolerate it. I can't wear a sweater under a suit coat, ever. Even in -20 weather in Minnesota... I just melt. On the other hand, a local haberdasher I know loves wearing HEAVY three-piece tweeds in the dead of summer... [​IMG]

3. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

Wear a cotton one. Ive work a suit in 90 defree heat and its not too bad. In the UK its not too cold yet and I wear a tweed and with a sweater.

4. Mauby

Mauby Distinguished Member

Think cool thoughts.

Over time, you get used to it. Here in Chicago, the first 30 degree day in November, I'm bundled up layer upon layer, hat, gloves, long-johns. That same 30 degree day in February, I'm wearing a light cashmere sweater and shorts while I walk to get a newspaper.

Keep in mind that these people have grown up in the tropics, so it's normal for them.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Wear a cotton one. Ive work a suit in 90 defree heat and its not too bad. In the UK its not too cold yet and I wear a tweed and with a sweater.

Heh- I can barely stand wearing a tshirt under my dress-shirt with a suit coat.

6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Distinguished Member

Over time, you get used to it.

+1.

7. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

Take for example Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I have never seen the man not in a suit. He sure looks good. But how does he do it?

It's all about body temperature. When you have a cold reptilian heart, wearing layers of dark wool in sub-saharan climes is pretty easy.

8. andyw

andyw Senior Member

It's all about body temperature. When you have a cold reptilian heart, wearing layers of dark wool in sub-saharan climes is pretty easy.

well said!

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Stylish Dinosaur

+1

I'm a normally very "warm blooded" person. Unless it is below 0 C I tend to just wear my shirt and then a top coat; maybe a scarf as if it's particularly windy. I simply get too warm while walking if I'm wearing more.

Sweating while wearing layers is not fun...[​IMG]

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

Isn't a lot of it a function of the suiting fabric? Not long ago on a warm evening, my wife and I were entertaining a couple of her friends. Naturally, I was wearing a jacket. My wife said, "Aren't you dying of the heat in that jacket?" "Not at all I replied," and indeed I was perfectly comfortable wearing a lightweight open-weave Scabal fabric tailored, of course, by my friends in Kowloon.

11. vitaminc

vitaminc Distinguished Member

Greetings.

How can politicians wear suits in tropical climate? Why do they do that? How can they tolerate it in such a heat? Take for example Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I have never seen the man not in a suit. He sure looks good. But how does he do it?

By wearing suits all the time, will one eventually just get used to it?

Regards,
    Interface.

and don't you wonder why all those middle easterners covering up their whole body all the time?

you get used to it...

12. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior Member

Yes we wear them in tropical climates. Mine are made out of a tropical weight of material. We just avoid heavy weight things. I am more apt to be found in shirt, tie and trousers. I am in Guam. Robert

13. Twotone

Twotone Distinguished Member

I freeze my underwear.

Twotone

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

1. you sweat
    2. you get used to it
    3. people were thinner back in the old days and didn't get as hot

15. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Distinguished Member

If you're important enough to be wearing a suit 24/7 in a sub-tropical climate, you're usually important enough to spend most of your time in an AC'd building or car.