1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How can I tell if my shoes...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 21, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Ok, I must admit that I know very little about shoes aside from what I like and what I don't. I have a pair of Ferragamo Tramezzas, and I'd like to find out if they are shell cordovan or calf. How do I go about distinguishing one from the other? Thanks.

2. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

I've never known Ferragamo to work with shell cordovan. However, shell cordovan is a vegetable tanned material and has a waxy hand. Usually, after spending time in the boxes before purchase, a slight haze developes that is clear to see. You generally have to work a bit harder to bring the shine out. If you examine shell cordovan closely, you can see some defects in just about every pair - a few pock-marks, tiny indentations, different tones of color, etc. Calfskin, at the better end, is consistent in it's grain and finish (antiqueing of brown tones is intentional, and done after the hides are dyed) and it's hand smooth.