• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How can I tell if my shoes...?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I must admit that I know very little about shoes aside from what I like and what I don't. I have a pair of Ferragamo Tramezzas, and I'd like to find out if they are shell cordovan or calf. How do I go about distinguishing one from the other? Thanks.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never known Ferragamo to work with shell cordovan. However, shell cordovan is a vegetable tanned material and has a waxy hand. Usually, after spending time in the boxes before purchase, a slight haze developes that is clear to see. You generally have to work a bit harder to bring the shine out. If you examine shell cordovan closely, you can see some defects in just about every pair - a few pock-marks, tiny indentations, different tones of color, etc. Calfskin, at the better end, is consistent in it's grain and finish (antiqueing of brown tones is intentional, and done after the hides are dyed) and it's hand smooth.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.