• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I tell if my dolce & gabbana suit is real and new?

brueshin

Reaction score
Hi I just bought this suit on ebay. I can't honestly tell if it's real. I can't even tell if the suit is new. I don't know how old the suit is. The seller stated that he purchased the suit from a consignment store and cannot give me much information about the suit besides the info they had given him. So, is there anyway I can tell if the suit is authentic and new? Thanks in advance for your help. Here is the link to the suit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

brueshin

Reaction score
Hi, here's additional information. I know that there is no "dolce & gabbana" stamped into the lining of the suit. Also, the buttons don't have "dolce & gabbana" stamped into them. Lastly, there is no dolce & gabbana gold chain at the neck of the jacket. However, I am hoping (this is the appropriate word) that these things are missing because this is an older suit. for example,http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AUS%3A1&rd=1 this suit also does not have these features. well, thanks for your help.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross your fingers that it isn't real. It might be of higher quality..

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
Cross your fingers that it isn't real. It might be of higher quality..
That's just not true.

Honestly the thing that speaks most loudly against it is that I have *never* seen a D&G suit in a short. But the pant lining looks legit and if it looks good on you, who cares? You didn't pay a designer markup.

Tom

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think this seller called the suit a "short" because the trousers and jacket sleeve length have been shortened so it wouldnt fit a longer person. So i'm sure the suit isn't new.....but as Tiger says, if it fits you good, then why worry since you didnt pay premium price.

It doesnt look blatantly fake, the only thing I wonder about is that every mainline Dolce Gabbana suit I've seen has a metal name plaque with chain on the back of the neck, instead of the fabric one this suit has. My suit is 10+ years old and has that feature, so if this is an old suit, it might be a really old suit. I would be more wary of NWT/NWOT designer items than used ones, which are most always real.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the lack of the metal chain in the collar area means it's a "Martini" cut where the shoulder is more narraow and pants are usually low rise. The metal chain'ed suits are called luxury cuts, the material is better and more form fitting.

cappyg00k

Reaction score
maomao1980, didn't know that. Interesting! I have a few dolce suits and they all don't have the metal chain. How do know about the "Martini Cut"? Thanks.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cappyg00k
maomao1980, didn't know that. Interesting! I have a few dolce suits and they all don't have the metal chain. How do know about the "Martini Cut"? Thanks.

DG is one of my guilty pleasures. Quality aside, I like their more conservative causual stuff and find the cuts of their suits very suitable for me (no pun intended), there fore I've got quite a few of them. Both the LA and HK boutique sales have refered to the different cuts of the suits as luxury and Martini. Luxury cut has the metal chain, while the Martini cut has a cloth tap in place of the metal chain. I find the luxury cut suits more Italian in terms of being curvy, while the Martini cuts are almost British in that it has straighter, more slim lines.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is interesting news. I never knew about this feature, though I always saw two different lines of suits in dolce & gabbana. All of them are fused to my knowledge though, but I really like my gold chained dolce suit, the silhouette fits me very well.

!luc

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
That's just not true.

Honestly the thing that speaks most loudly against it is that I have *never* seen a D&G suit in a short. But the pant lining looks legit and if it looks good on you, who cares? You didn't pay a designer markup.

Tom

I don't think that they are all that common, but they do make them. I've seen some at Saks before and was surprised, because until then I thought that they had only the regular European sizing.

John

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is real. i have one just like it.

brueshin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
it is real. i have one just like it.

Really? Do you know the season and year of the suit? Thanks

brueshin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
Are there actually fake designer suits? I thought they only faked the cheaper stuff with logos. I mean, why bother faking something that doesn't scream the label?

Definately, there are fake designer suits. You commonly see fake Armani and Zegna suits. I actually purchased a fake Zegna suit before on Ebay (Suit was fused).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads