• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How can I safely buy gift cards on craigslist?

gibson55

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of people selling gift cards on craigslist at BIG discounts. For example, someone is selling $900 worth of gift cards for lets say $500. I would really like to jump on this but I have foresee some big risks, maybe you guys can come up with a good strategy?

First, how do I execute the initial exchange, in other words, I am very weary of handing over cash to someone just to see them run off with it. I guess we could try to exchange at the exact same time but still. Could I possibly have a store employee do the swap for us? Or maybe even try to do it in front of a cop???

Second, even if I get the gift card, its still possible that it can be redeemed online before I have a change to use it, is it possible I can just buy something immediately, then return it for a new gift card?

Third, how do I know that the gift card hasn't been issued using money from a stolen credit card? I figure if I just use it up immediately there would be no way for them to find me if they later discover it was a stolen credit card that was used to issue the gift card. Does this make sense?

Also, I don't really need $900 worth of stuff from Best Buy, would it be possible to try to get people in line to use my gift card in exchange for some cash, since I would be willing to charge them less than the purchase price? They would still end up with a receipt and everything.

Any thoughts on this guys? I would love to take advantage of some of these deals, just wanna take every precaution possible. Thanks.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what craigslist is like where you live, but around here it has turned into a pretty creepy place. Lot of scammers.

Be careful.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say do it in front of a cop, maybe call them to arrange a time.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask to meet the guy at the store where you'll be using it.

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
+1. At the bare minimum, get a receipt with the amount from the store in question.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

bingo, that's the ONLY way to do this. you two meet up at a store, you ask them to check for the balance on the card and also check for other limits like expiration dates, ability to return/exchange goods if bought with the card, is it tied to a specific name/account (eg could he email them later and withdraw off the card), etc. Then you could even ask the store to transfer the full amount to a new card that's yours just incase there's any issues with the old one. only then hand over the cash. you might also consider putting together a bunch of clothes to buy, meeting up and then using a large portion of the value right then and there just to make sure it's all good. worst case you return teh stuff and get the money back on the card.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Even if you confirm balance at the store there's no guarantee he doesn't have the info necessary to purchase stuff online.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh...I wouldn't go near any of those CL sales. Way too many risks and other inconveniences that goes along with it.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
+1 I actually have some friends who in the past, would asked to meet the seller at the store to check the balance before they bought the gift card.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zachgranstrom
+1

I actually have some friends who in the past, would asked to meet the seller at the store to check the balance before they bought the gift card.

Use that old giftcard to buy a new giftcard ASAP also. Then you know exactly where all the funds are and only you know the number on the card.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I don't know what craigslist is like where you live, but around here it has turned into a pretty creepy place. Lot of scammers.

Be careful.

Originally Posted by Warren G.
Tbh...I wouldn't go near any of those CL sales. Way too many risks and other inconveniences that goes along with it.

I'd avoid craigslist if I were you for cash equivalent items. Lots of robberies and scams and with the holidays here people can get pretty desperate.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.1%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 46 9.2%