1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by robbie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. robbie

robbie Senior member

Maybe trying a novel perspective would benefit you.

http://www.meetup.com/omahaatheists/

(if this is directed at me)

I actually do get together with several atheist friends I have, I don't know how comfortable I'd be in that setting however. It would certainly be an exercise in conversational restraint on my part.

2. Threak

Threak Senior member

It's been two weeks since you started this thread. Any plans yet?

3. robbie

robbie Senior member

^^^
    yes and no.

I am trying to develop my resume, and determine what/how many classes I need to finish up my journalism degree. I have a lot more hours than I'd thought (fairly close to 60 course hours) and still plan on enrolling no later than January 2010. A lot is hard to do until after I am married (go back to school, making employment changes etc).

Some friend suggested talking with an employment agency. I had never heard of such thing, I assumed that there were temp agencies.... but nothing around to find you full time work. So like I said I am building my resume, and trying to determine what professional skills I have. Refreshing my memory on things like excel/ ms office and some of the other 'professional' things i've been exposed to.

Its all still quite up in the air though.

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Robbie, have you talked to your fiancee about this?

5. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

^^^
    yes and no.

I am trying to develop my resume, and determine what/how many classes I need to finish up my journalism degree. I have a lot more hours than I'd thought (fairly close to 60 course hours) and still plan on enrolling no later than January 2010. A lot is hard to do until after I am married (go back to school, making employment changes etc).

Some friend suggested talking with an employment agency. I had never heard of such thing, I assumed that there were temp agencies.... but nothing around to find you full time work. So like I said I am building my resume, and trying to determine what professional skills I have. Refreshing my memory on things like excel/ ms office and some of the other 'professional' things i've been exposed to.

Its all still quite up in the air though.

U
    G
    H

6. robbie

robbie Senior member

Robbie, have you talked to your fiancee about this?
    yes
    U
    G
    H

ugh, i am fairly dense is this an 'ugh, you're fucking stupid' or 'ugh, things are rough' or 'ugh, something else entirely'

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

ugh, i am fairly dense is this an 'ugh, you're fucking stupid' or 'ugh, things are rough' or 'ugh, something else entirely'

I think it was more of a "he's going to kill himself if he reads any more of this crap" ugh. I could be wrong.

8. APK

APK Senior member

I wouldn't recommend going back to school for journalism. True, an English degree can be spread across many types of work, but I wouldn't rack up debt to pursue one of the bleakest professions out there (this coming from someone who started as a J major).

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I think it was more of a "he's going to kill himself if he reads any more of this crap" ugh. I could be wrong.

ding ding ding...

10. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

^^^ yes and no. I am trying to develop my resume, and determine what/how many classes I need to finish up my journalism degree. I have a lot more hours than I'd thought (fairly close to 60 course hours) and still plan on enrolling no later than January 2010. A lot is hard to do until after I am married (go back to school, making employment changes etc). Some friend suggested talking with an employment agency. I had never heard of such thing, I assumed that there were temp agencies.... but nothing around to find you full time work. So like I said I am building my resume, and trying to determine what professional skills I have. Refreshing my memory on things like excel/ ms office and some of the other 'professional' things i've been exposed to. Its all still quite up in the air though.
    For fucks sake.... Your doing it all wrong...... I want to stress: Take it as you will, I hold no responsibility if you fuck up your life. Here's some good advice: Quit your shitty Target job... You said you only make $17K a year, what is that $8.80 an hour? Thats a pretty shitty pay check. Target does not give a shit about you, if they did they wouldn't pay you slave labor wages. As soon as you QUIT your job you will feel liberated. Does your girl friend work? Could she support you while you goto school? Doesn't really matter here's why. Fill out a transfer student application for all of your State Universities, Then fill out FASFA and add all the schools. Get accepted as a transfer student to Wetakeallyourmoneyandgiveyoushit State University. Apply to student housing as soon as you can. Most Universities have Apartments or Dorms for married couples, you might be able to get into that if your not married yet. If not get an apartment next to the university, and you and your girl sleep in the same room and rent out the other to keep the rent down. Or find someone who need a roommate, its not that hard. Get your Student loans or Merit awards (if you get any at all) and get the rest out on private student loans, I hope you have a good credit score or your fucked. Finish up in a degree, what ever the hell you want, if you don't know, get a Degree in Business Admin like the rest of the people who don't know what they want to do. Since your married so young, you gonna miss out on almost all the fun college has to offer. Ok, now your out of school get a job or go back for another degree. Oh don't forget you owe $60K in student loans at a 10% interest rate. If you don't want to do that. Become a plumber or Electrician, you'll make more money then the college graduates and have no debt. And if your not gonna do anything at all, At least quit fucking Target, damn... Become a waiter or a bartender, or sell cars or cell phones, at least you'll make 2-3x the money target is paying you, if you can figure out how to charm people. Your wellcome.

11. flashback

flashback Senior member

my 2 cents -

my first thought is I don't know why you're getting married now. It seems as though you aren't ready in any way to take that step, and if anything it seems immature and irresponsible. You say she's not pressuring you, so why rush into it now when you can barely support yourself, let alone another person, or god forbid a family? If she does really love you and she's not pressuring you she'll understand, and the people around you will respect that you are waiting and maybe me more prone to helping you out. Seriously, financial problems are the number one cause of failed marriages. It almost seems like you're setting your marriage up to fail.

ok, so I'm guessing that you aren't really going to listen to that piece of advice because your question really isn't about the marriage, but I wish you would think about what I said there and take it to heart. I guess you could get married and then use it to your advantage the way someone else recommended by using it to get a very favorable college loan or other financing. I don't believe you need college, but it really seems like you have no idea what you're doing or where you're going, so at the very least college wont hurt. I agree with the person that said do it as quickly and cheaply as possible. You're already 23, so it's not like you're going to go back and have the college experience of an 18 year old coming in right out of high school. At your age its expected that you've already been through that, so just try and get through it quickly so you can get up to speed with the other people your age.

I like that you are showing some tenacity by writing to the guy at Coke who has your dream-job... but you need to do more than that. That little step needs to be turned up to 11. You should expect that he isn't going to write you back and that you need to figure out how to get a cool job like that on your own. I really mean this - the responsibility is on YOU to figure out how to do what you want to do. You can't expect to just ask people and have it told to you easily. If you keep asking questions, occasionally you'll get some answers and some direction, but in the end what makes the difference is the initiative that you're able to take for yourself.

Keep thinking of things that you like or that you would enjoy doing, and keep figuring out how to get the jobs you want. Don't expect other people to give you the answer. You have the greatest research tool in the history of the world at your disposal, so use it. Get out there and network & relentlessly make connections. Start out with people at the low-end of the companies that you like, and work your way up. Stand up and take what you want from the world, because the world isn't going to give it to you.

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Robbie- Try to get a job bartending/waiting tables in a young area while still working at target. At the very least it should be kinda fun and you'll meet more people your own age who are likely different than your core group of friends. You can do that 2-3 nights a week to start while still working at target. Probably make more money in those 3 nights than all week at target. At least it's mixing it up

13. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Become a plumber or Electrician, you'll make more money then the college graduates and have no debt.
    I realize that this has been beaten to death, but it's worth repeating. Working as an electrician tends to be rewarding work, puts you around generally cool people, pays well, and has all sorts of upward mobility. --------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Edit: because labor jobs are generally rather unglamorous. If you get a good job as an apprentice electrician, you're around a bunch of guys who are going to show you the ropes, shoot the breeze with you, and then go out and drink with you when you're done. You're learning things that you can apply to vehicles, your house, your parents' house, etc. You will have a skill set that will always be useful. You're knowledgeable in ways that "the educated" rarely are. You'll learn about electrical engineering if you pursue a journeyman or master's license. The opportunities are great. You get decent pay as an apprentice and then should get frequent raises from there. Need more money? Just ask for overtime. A bit of experience and you'll have a new guy in tote that you'll be showing the ropes and helping along. A few years in and you've got a position of pretty solid responsibility. As a journeyman you may be a foreman for a project. As a master electrician you can start your own business or just hang out at the one you're at, because the pay should be damn good by then. If you decide to push it a step further, it's quite possible to become a project manager. /Electrician rant

14. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Unless you're damn sure that you're getting a degree in a field that you love and that will be profitable, I would advise against student loans.

15. milosz

milosz Senior member

Generally good advice, but I don't know how the server life would work with Robbie's religious leanings (don't know how strict he is). Every place I've worked has been a den of drugs, booze and casual sex - the conservative religious folk generally quit or separated themselves immediately.

16. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

Unless you're damn sure that you're getting a degree in a field that you love and that will be profitable, I would advise against student loans.

YES.

You do know that newspapers are dying all over the country right? Have you tried blogging and building up your portfolio if that is your direction?

Marriage is 10 times as hard when money is an issue whether or not you are a Christian. Take some time with her and set out your budget. See what she spends her money on, see what you spend your money on. Can you guys really afford a 1 salary lifestyle between the both of you? Will she be happy to give up her niceties so that she can support your way through school?

What if you are offered a great photo-journal job in another state? Will she be willing to move together with you? If not, there goes some of your dreams.

Having been married for two years, I can say it is great. However you restrict yourself greatly to options in the future. (e.g. - I want to apply to mba schools all over the country...but am restricted to NYC)

This is all assuming your fiancee is in the same salary range as yourself... you can always marry...rich...

i kid...i kid

17. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

Why not do some sort of missionary work in third world countries. Join the Peace Corp or something, as you're opposed to joining the military. You may get some sort of training out it, might be able to come back and be an EMT or something. Truth be told, I've never done it so I don't know exactly how it works. Ask a bunch of questions beforehand. Maybe the camp will have internet, like military camps. You can blog about the whole experience and use that to perhaps get a job once you're back.

18. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

Why not do some sort of missionary work in third world countries. Join the Peace Corp or something, as you're opposed to joining the military. You may get some sort of training out it, might be able to come back and be an EMT or something. Truth be told, I've never done it so I don't know exactly how it works. Ask a bunch of questions beforehand. Maybe the camp will have internet, like military camps. You can blog about the whole experience and use that to perhaps get a job once you're back.

EMT's are one the most dangerous and lowest paying jobs out there. You'll be dealing with homeless, gang members and drugged out junkies the majority of the time. On top of that you are pretty much left open to get sued at the drop of a hat for anything from anyone. Last time I checked the job only paid around $2-3 above minimum wage, had almost zero benefits and you'd be working all the time, and thats if you can even land the job. Allot of people are fighting for the position because of the economy, as well as they want a career at the local fire department.
    I'd recommend looking somewhere else.

19. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

EMT's are one the most dangerous and lowest paying jobs out there. You'll be dealing with homeless, gang members and drugged out junkies the majority of the time. On top of that you are pretty much left open to get sued at the drop of a hat for anything from anyone. Last time I checked the job only paid around $2-3 above minimum wage, had almost zero benefits and you'd be working all the time, and thats if you can even land the job. Allot of people are fighting for the position because of the economy, as well as they want a career at the local fire department. I'd recommend looking somewhere else.
    +1, I've met some EMT's, and unless you're just doing it at night or something while going to med school or advancing elsewhere, it's not the ideal job. This electrician thing sounds kinda cool...I have a lot to learn though, I don't know shit about electrical work. Maybe I'll take an ROP class on it next semester just in case accounting turns out to suck [​IMG] Robbie, at least do the bartender or restaurant thing. I'm making barely above min. wage at the golf course where I work during school, and if I had the look or personality for the bar/restaurant scene, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We have a bar at the golf course, and even though it's slow and inexpensive, the bartenders still make $$$ in tips. Were I not in school, I'd be busting my ass to get into a bar. I even pictured a bar at a nice/fancy hotel that would be slower and without the rowdy crowds, where your professionalism and service skills would seem to matter more than how you look.

20. robbie

robbie Senior member

Generally good advice, but I don't know how the server life would work with Robbie's religious leanings (don't know how strict he is). Every place I've worked has been a den of drugs, booze and casual sex - the conservative religious folk generally quit or separated themselves immediately.

what are you talking about Adventist potlucks almost always include strippers and cocaine.

(j/k for realz)